We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Jump Up Festival 2013 / Local food suggestions

Which Christiansted hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Washington, Virginia
Jump Up Festival 2013 / Local food suggestions

We are heading out to STX next week! We will be there on July 5th, and are thinking about checking out the Jump Up festival. Here is some information I found about it:

"Downtown Christiansted Description:Jump Up starts at 6 pm and vendors stay until around 10 pm. Stores stay open late and offer sales, while food and drink vendors line the streets. Artisans sell their crafts, and steel pan bands and live music play on every corner. Mocko Jumbies come out and dance in the streets."

Has anyone here been to this festival in the past? How was it? Anything to keep an eye out for? Is it safe for a my wife (who is 7 months pregnant)? It sounds like a festival, but I wanted to make sure it wasn't a wild party, or anything like that.

We are big time foodies, and the food/drink vendors at the festival sound awesome! If you have any other suggestions for local/authentic food that we must try while we are there, that would be awesome! We are staying at the Buckaneer.

Groves, Texas
reviews: 1
1. Re: Jump Up Festival 2013 / Local food suggestions

We've been to the jump ups in February and May(during the Triathalon). I'd think the July one may be the smallest attended because of it being low season. We usually eat in a restaurant then join in the fun of Jump Up. We're not huge partiers and have never found it to be outrageous or anything. You'll find bands on different street corners, venders selling food and drinks and some things for kids. The times we've been felt very safe. We stayed right in the area where the Jump Up was going on and didn't venture off onto dark streets. (wouldn't do that here in my home town) I think it would be safe for your wife--- there are plenty of places to stand in the crowd to watch the parade and Mocko Jumbies. People seem to be more interested in taking pictures of the M.J. than anything while this is going on. This small celebration is not comparable to anything like Mardi Gras, no flashing or anything like that. Unless we missed it! ;) Have a great trip, Paula

New Britain...
reviews: 19
2. Re: Jump Up Festival 2013 / Local food suggestions

We've been to several May Jump-Ups. They are very family friendly. The last few we have not eaten before the festivities start and go from corner to corner eating our way around town. If you have little ones keep them close. It can be very crowded and they can be easily separated from Mom or Dad. Not that anyone would harm them but it's scarry to be lost.

Clarks Summit,Pa
Destination Expert
for St. Croix
reviews: 1
3. Re: Jump Up Festival 2013 / Local food suggestions

Well... Iv'e been to a couple of the May / Triathalon jump ups and one time to the one in July. There was a gap of probably 6 or 7 years between the May & July versions but the one we went to in July was smaller. In fact it was much smaller than the first one I went to in May. Still a fun night and a good time. There were plenty of people, families around so it was safe I guess.

Tampa, Florida
4. Re: Jump Up Festival 2013 / Local food suggestions

Hey, you better check your dates! A few months ago, Jump Up was reported to be scheduled on July 5th. The latest information in St Croix This Week lists Jump Up happening on July 12th from 6-10pm. If you are the island on Sunday, July 7th, go to MANGO MELEE!!!!!!!! Wouldn't miss it!!!

Wake Forest, North...
reviews: 87
5. Re: Jump Up Festival 2013 / Local food suggestions

We'll see you there at MANGO MELEE!

Washington, Virginia
6. Re: Jump Up Festival 2013 / Local food suggestions

What a bummer! I was looking forward to the festival happening while we were there! Oh well, I'm sure there will be plenty of other things for us to do. Thanks for all the info @stcroix @stcroixtraveler @bassman607! We are leaving the day of mango melle!

fobsgonewild
7. Re: Jump Up Festival 2013 / Local food suggestions

Looks like jump up IS happening tomorrow! July 5 2013

Wake Forest, North...
8. Re: Jump Up Festival 2013 / Local food suggestions

Yeah, just got here today and my inn-keeper said it's 7/5 as well.

fobsgonewild
9. Re: Jump Up Festival 2013 / Local food suggestions

Scobadoo, are you at buccaneer as well? Are you taking the shuttle into town?

Wake Forest, North...
10. Re: Jump Up Festival 2013 / Local food suggestions

We're at a Villa at Salt River and the Jump Up was quite the party.