We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Jack/Isaac's Without A Car

Which Christiansted hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Sturtevant...
reviews: 4
Jack/Isaac's Without A Car

We will be traveling to St Croix at the end of March, staying at the Divi. We are hoping to get away with not renting a car, besides maybe one day for sightseeing and exploring around the island. For the most part, we plan to spend our trip firmly planted on the beach.

We do, however, want to hike to Jack and Isaac's Bays. I have noticed that, while they are very close to the Divi, when given directions to the trail it is usually advised to drive to the Grapetree or Point Udall and get on the trail from there.

Would it be possible (or advisable) to walk from the Divi to the trail near the Grapetree? Would we have to walk along dangerous roadways or through unmarked trails? We are adventurous and fairly experienced hikers, but I don't want to go looking for trouble, either! Thanks in advance.

Sturtevant...
1. Re: Jack/Isaac's Without A Car

I forgot to add -- it will be just myself and my husband. We're leaving the kids home! So, no concerns about little legs.

Wheaton, Illinois
Destination Expert
for St. Croix
reviews: 2
2. Re: Jack/Isaac's Without A Car

I'll leave it to others who have actually done the hike to comment on Jack's and Isaac's trails. I am just going to offer a few thoughts on being without a rental car.

The Divi is located at the far east end - on the south shore. The only restaurants over there are the one at The Divi and East End Pizza. Nothing else within walking distance. Without a car you are really going to be stranded and taxis are very expensive. There are no mini marts within walking distance and The Divi gift shop does not stock any food or drinks beyond some small souvenir bottles of Cruzan Rum.

JMO but you are going to miss seeing so much and being able to go to some really good restaurants by not having a car. Drving on the left is pretty easy - if I can do it, anyone can. You won't need a honkin' big SUV - even a sub-compact will get you around nicely.

Have a great time!

Sturtevant...
3. Re: Jack/Isaac's Without A Car

Thanks for the info. We are only going to be on St Croix for 4 days, and the point of the trip is really just to hang out and relax. My husband requested an all-inclusive for that reason, as he doesn't especially want to be doing much at all. We chose the Divi because we don't have passports and don't have time to get them, and it offers a place to park ourselves on the beach with easy access to food and drinks, included in our room price. I know it's not the best food or beach that the island has to offer, but it fits our goals for this trip.

We'll get back someday to really experience all of the awesome local stuff, but this short jaunt is not it. Like I said, we'll probably end up renting a car for one day to hit a couple attractions and a local restaurant or two, but for our plans, it is not really cost effective for the entire trip at $40+ per day.

Houston, Texas
4. Re: Jack/Isaac's Without A Car

Last year we made two trips to Isaac's/Jack's and both times we parked at Point Udall. From the P.U. parking area, there's a trail that winds down to the beach.

I'm not an STX expert and never have stayed at the Divi, but it seems as though it would be quite a hike to Isaac's from the Divi.

Whatever you do, find a way to get there. It's beautiful!

St. Croix
reviews: 3
5. Re: Jack/Isaac's Without A Car

You can walk to Jacks + Isaacs through Grapetree, but the road from Divi to Grapetree is a rollercoaster with no shoulders, so be very attentive to cars, and give them room. Never know when a tourist might forget to drive on the left side, or a local is late for work.

If you're really ambitious, you could walk over the Ridge Road to Good Spirits and/or Duggans for more food options. That road is much safer. Might want to try it before committing to a dinner stroll.

Enjoy!

St. Croix
6. Re: Jack/Isaac's Without A Car

There is a trail near the Old Grape tree hotel that goes into Jacks . It would be a little over a mile on the main road then right on the old hotel road, past the hotel, first right, trail right on the left, the hike is about a mile, bring water and a hat, not much shade but the effort is totally worth it, have fun

West Chester, PA
Destination Expert
for St. Croix
reviews: 6
7. Re: Jack/Isaac's Without A Car

agree fully with stxbombi...total hike from Dii would be 2-3 miles but difinitely do-able....it is worth the trip if you want secluded beautiful beach and swimming....make sure and bring all your trash back out with you (water bottles etc)....bring watwr and sunscreen....

also great snorkeling area a short stroll west on the Divi beach....walk down the beach to the two palmtrees that lay over almost touching the water (easy to spot), enter the water there in very shallow water, reef is about 50-75 yards off shore then follow the reef back east toward Divi

don't bring anything with you and you can enter here and then return out of the water in front of Divi.....this is for moderate swimmers and snorkelers but just like Jack and Issacs it is worth the effort if conditions are right....the water sport shack at divi will let you know if conditions are ideal for snorkeling

also agree that a hike "over the hill" to get a meal at Good Spirits (if you like well cooked barbeque or full service meal at Duggans Reef) but be careful as it gets very dark once the sun sets and I'm not sure if the "hill " road has street lights...it will be obvious once you get there.

have a great trip!

Christiansted, St...
8. Re: Jack/Isaac's Without A Car

Walking to the path in the Grapetree area that leads to Jack's should not be a problem for any decent hiker. Just remember to walk on the right-hand side so you can see the drivers coming toward you.

Bring plenty of water, snacks, sunblock (and re-apply frequently), towels, and your snorkeling gear.

Be sure to get a couple's massage at the Divi, either in the spa or on the dock. Michael and Terry are fantastic!

Enjoy!

Sturtevant...
9. Re: Jack/Isaac's Without A Car

Thanks everyone! We think we'll be up for the challenge -- Jack and Isaac's definitely look worth the effort. We can always rent a car when we get there if it's an obvious no-go (planning to get one for 2 days anyhow, but wanted to save that for more distant excursions).

10. Re: Jack/Isaac's Without A Car

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, March 01, 2014