We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ride from cruise port

Which Christiansted hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Greensboro, North...
reviews: 121
Ride from cruise port

We will be stopping in St. Croix on a cruise and I have never been there.

One of the ship's excursions features panoramic view plus time in Christiansted to shop.

My question - is the road to Christiansted filled with hairpin turns or

along cliffs? Is this a highway or just a scenic road with stops along the way. I have a problem with rides like this since I did a few in Europe that terrified me. Since the tour offers panoramic views, I wanted to ask before I signed up.

The island looks beautiful and I would love to see it but if the ride would cause me alot of anxiety, I will find something else.

Also, are there many shops in Christiansted compared to where the cruise ships docks.

Thank you!

boston
Destination Expert
for Christiansted
reviews: 71
1. Re: Ride from cruise port

While some of St. Croix's roads are windy and some just plain steep, I would not say they contain multiple hairpin turns that would cause you discomfort like those in Europe do (and were on the Amalfi Coast this past year so I have some basis for comparison). Additionally, St. Croix is not that big of an island so even if there were a turn or two that might be windy, you would be on a straightaway pretty quickly.

Of course, I assume that this tour is planned for a minivan or car and not something like Tan Tan Tours that are designed for thrill-seekers.

Christiansted has more shopping and areas to wander than Frederiksted though it is not a shopping mecca like, say, St. Thomas or St. Martin would be. You can probably spend a couple of hours there poking into shops and then having a bite to eat at a place on the boardwalk.

Michigan
reviews: 30
2. Re: Ride from cruise port

How far of a drive is it from the crusie port to Christiansted and what would the taxi fare be?

Elkhart Indiana
Destination Expert
for St. Croix
3. Re: Ride from cruise port

From the Cruise port in Fredericksted to Christiansted is about a 40 minute drive. http://www.stcroixtaxi.com/ will give you an idea of the price of a taxi

Clarks Summit,Pa
Destination Expert
for St. Croix
reviews: 1
4. Re: Ride from cruise port

The roads on STX are nothing close to the Amalfi Coast. Two vastly different areas. No cliffside dropoffs in STX. Both are very scenic areas so if you survived the European roads like some of those in Italy,you'll be just fine on STX...In fact I have to almost say that there are not enough of those dramatic views on STX like those in Italy. Not they are bad views just not as striking...STX is a beautiful island so get out and look around. It will be fun.

Greensboro, North...
reviews: 121
5. Re: Ride from cruise port

Thank you!

The worst ride was from Capri to Anacapri- really scary! There was one pretty bad in Turkey also- to an amazing old town called Sirince. Everyone on the bus was freaking out. Finally the tour guide told everyone to calm down- the driver had lots of experience!

Elkhart Indiana
Destination Expert
for St. Croix
6. Re: Ride from cruise port

Just remember that in St. Croix you drive on the left :) My husband took to it like a pro ... I am working up courage to try driving this year when we go

Asheville NC
reviews: 37
7. Re: Ride from cruise port

We did what you want to do. We took the public bus from the port to Christiansted. Had several stops, and we saw a lot of scenery and people. Had plenty of time to walk all over Christiansted. Really thought it was a town we had to get back to...and we did...three times in four years!!!! Will be there Feb 16th for a week. Yahoo!!!

8. Re: Ride from cruise port

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:16 am, February 05, 2014