We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Budget Rent A Car St Croix

Which Christiansted hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Washington DC
reviews: 8
Budget Rent A Car St Croix

We used Budget Rent a Car in St Croix in January 2013. We obtained a fair rate for the vehicle, but when we looked at our credit card bill, there was an extra $125 charge for "excessive sand" in the vehicle. We only went once to a beach, and there were only two people in the car. Basically, if you go to a beach, you will get stuck with their OUTRAGEOUS cleaning fee, which probably amounted to three minutes of vacuuming. Budget Rent a Car in STX is no budget deal at all, but it is a budget=busting RIPOFF.

12 replies to this topic
Gardnerville, Nevada
reviews: 15
1. Re: Budget Rent A Car St Croix

I once rented from Budget and was very unhappy with the service. I always recommend Centerline and I see that lots of people recommend Judi's also. This is a case where local is best.

Austin, Texas
reviews: 28
2. Re: Budget Rent A Car St Croix

Use Centerline next time. They are awesome.

Wheaton, Illinois
Destination Expert
for St. Croix
reviews: 2
3. Re: Budget Rent A Car St Croix

Another vote here for Centerline! On our first trip to STX in '07 Budget really disappointed us and Centerline bailed us out. I should have learned a lesson from dealing with them on STT.

Sorry you had a bad experience, too.

4. Re: Budget Rent A Car St Croix

Does anyone have any experience with Avis? The price I got from them was about $150 cheaper than their competitors. I am renting for a whole month and the car is a larger model.

henniker,NH
5. Re: Budget Rent A Car St Croix

We have used both with no issues, usually with 2 children. We use Budget when we have the cc miles, otherwize centerline

6. Re: Budget Rent A Car St Croix

We rented a car from budget @ a fair price. E declined the roadside assistance. I lost the key and when I called they said they would have to bring us another car because their policy was they couldn't rent the car out if they didn't have a spare key. Then they called back and said they didn't have a spare key for that car and I would b responsible for all cost involved w/ a tow truck and having a key made by the dealer! We found the key and called them back to cancel the tow truck and was asked to wait on the truck and superviser and tell them we found the key. Well since the tow truck came all the way out we still got charged a tow bill even though we cancelled 25 minutes before they arrived. Budget will not get my business again!!!

reviews: 78
7. Re: Budget Rent A Car St Croix

Most likely all of the chain agencies on St Croix are franchises so in essence they probably are also local but not necessarily family run or private. I use Hertz and I'm a gold member. Never had any issues. On one trip I got a flat driving in to F'sted just after picking up the car. Put on the spare and took it back for a replacement car with no issues. Took a while though- island time. As a gold member with my profile on file they don't try to up-sell insurance or other add-ons, and I expect are not likely to attempt any of those other BS charges or else face the wrath of corporate and risk losing their franchise license. I use my AAA discount which brings the rate down competitive as well.

Gardnerville, Nevada
reviews: 15
8. Re: Budget Rent A Car St Croix

I also had a bad experience with a local franchise car rental agency; probably was Budget, definitely wasn't Hertz. Since then I have had very satisfactory experiences with Centerline.

Tampa, Florida
9. Re: Budget Rent A Car St Croix

Have used Judi's 20 plus times, great customer service, no surprises, no sand tax!

Edmond, Oklahoma
reviews: 66
10. Re: Budget Rent A Car St Croix

Yet another vote here for Centerline. When the girlfriend and I used them this past December it was the easiest car rental experience I've had in years. We were anxious about using a local place but the positive reviews on TA swayed us and we were happy they did. Picked us up at the airport, gave us great directions to our out of the way B&B (Arawak, also great), and allowed us to leave the car at the airport due to our early flight time. No worries and no surprises on the final bill. Highly recommended.

Reply to: Budget Rent A Car St Croix
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Christiansted