We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Groceries

Which Christiansted hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Raleigh, NC
reviews: 41
Groceries

We will be in Cotton Valley for Thanksgiving with our daughter and her family....total 4 adults and 2 children. We have rented a villa and will need to buy some groceries when we arrive. The latest reviews we read on TA were for Schooner Bay Market and there were no positives I could find, BUT, the latest reviews were 6 years back. I'd appreciate any intel that can be shared as to the store's current conditions and further info on other stores. Thanks!

st. croix USVI
reviews: 81
1. Re: Groceries

We use Schooner Bay if it is just to pick up a few things.

For our real grocery shopping we use Plaza Extra and it's on the way from the airport if you're thinking about stopping right after you land.

We rarely use Cost-U-Less since we're now getting most of our paper products, some other household items from Walmart.com for postal delivery for a much better price.

Probably needless to say, but I will anyway ... you may find something at one place one day and might not be there the next time.

Happy Thanksgiving wishes to you!

Edited: 4:53 pm, November 06, 2012
Raleigh, NC
2. Re: Groceries

Many thanks for the info...we'll probably do a bit of recon once we're on the ground and your heads up will certainly help.

West Chester, PA
Destination Expert
for St. Croix
reviews: 6
3. Re: Groceries

Depends what you are after....Plaza Extra is a large full service supermarket...Schooner Bay is a small specialty market....if looking for fresh breads and select cuts of meat, Schooner Bay is best....if you are looking for staples like sandwich bread, milk, cereal, soda, juices, and adult beverages etc...then Plaza Extra is what you need and more economical.

Happy Cruzan Turkey Day!!

West Chester, PA
Destination Expert
for St. Croix
reviews: 6
4. Re: Groceries

Forgot to mention the Crab Races....make sure the kids get to Tito and Sue's Hermit Crab races...it's a must do....on Friday night they are closest to Cotton Valley at the Deep End Grille at Tamarind Reef Hotel at Green Cay. Monday night they are at the Brew Pub along the boardwalk. Kids get to pick out their own crab, name it and race it. Lots of great prizes and a kids toy box for all kids that participate. Come early to get your best crab!! Parents and GrandParents have been known to be seen hootin' and hollerin' for thier own crabs too!!

Raleigh, NC
5. Re: Groceries

Will do.....many thanks!!

San Diego...
reviews: 11
6. Re: Groceries

Yes, Plaza Extra and Cost-U-Less are your best choices as the local mom-n-pops are mostly 7/11 type affairs for the well-heeled. Plaza Extra has better pork and beef, but we saw no difference in the poultry options between the two and appreciated both markets for what they offer. Don't discount the street vendors and the Farmers Market for fresh yellowfin and spiny lobster for your boiler. You'll soon apreciate your good sense in renting a villa, STX is far off the beaten track and until the economy can deliver way more tourism, you'll pay dearly for a decent meal (bar food excluded!)... Yes, AFAR as food I'm prejdudiced as know and appreciate good food - but I'm a family man and can't blow $60 each for dinner! While a tiny island of few residents, STX is mysteriously loaded with tourist traps (see above) just like Florida.

Edited: 8:12 pm, November 10, 2012
st. croix USVI
reviews: 81
7. Re: Groceries

Just curious, what in your opinion are tourist traps? We've got three new sets of guests coming in Nov. and Dec. and I certainly don't want to have them leaving the island thinking we got them into a tourist trap. Kindly explain?

Yes, Cost-U-Less is also a fine place to shop for various items, especially in bulk and has good prices. I just gave the OP our preferred groceries.

Anxious to hear your opinion on the traps.

Raleigh, NC
8. Re: Groceries

Thanks to all who replied to my plea for info! We are leaving tomorrow at O dark 30 and will post our reviews when we come home....I feel confident your recommendations will prove to be beneficial. Thanks again.

9. Re: Groceries

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:15 am, November 29, 2013