We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Drinking water??

Which Christiansted hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
ohio
reviews: 2
Drinking water??

Just wondering how safe the water on St Croix is to drink?? Staying at Carambola and just wondering if I have to remind my young son not to drink straight from the sinks or water fountains on the island?

We plan to have bottled water with us to drink, just don't want someone getting a tummy ache and putting a damper on our trip.

We are getting excited about upcoming trip!! Only 3 more days and we are there!

Frederiksted, St...
1. Re: Drinking water??

Just so one of you don't have to spend your vacation in the bathroom I suggest bottle water for drinking. Water comes from three sources on STX. Rain, which is cought and stored in cisterns, desalination, sea water turned into fresh water and the "city" water, which is supplued by the power company. All are clean at the sourch by the delevery and storage leaves a lot to the imagination.

The best bottled water is Blue Mountain. It's bottles on STX by the Schusters. I have been through their plant and it's spotless.

For cietern water to be really safe to drink it should be filtered by reverse osmosis and treated with a UV light just before it's consumed. Ask you favorite bar where the ice cubes in your drink comes from. Most likely an untreated cistern or city water.

The city water has to be deliver by very old water pipes. Try not to drink this. Takes some getting used to.

You will find a number of water machines located at grocery stores. 50 cents for a gallon of water. This is the water I use for drinking and cooking. Bring you own jug.

Boston
reviews: 18
2. Re: Drinking water??

I always drink the water and have never gotten sick - maybe I am just lucky, but I have had water all over the island and had no problems.

St. Croix
3. Re: Drinking water??

I've been living here for 5 years and have never gotten sick from the water. In fact, I've only heard of one person who did - and it's not clear that it was actually the water that made him sick ... A lot of people like to play it safe on vacation anyway because any change in water can disrupt your system for a few days.

Frederiksted, St...
4. Re: Drinking water??

I too drink the local water but if you are not used to it you might have a problem. That was kind of my point. Best not to take a chance.

Morristown, New...
5. Re: Drinking water??

We've been to STX several times and never had an issue with the water and to be honest, never really thought about it.

My wife is quite careful after a bad experience on St. Lucia and even she doesn't think twice about the drinking water.

However, like pilotboy said, best to be safe than sorry and drink bottled water if you have any concerns.

ohio
reviews: 2
6. Re: Drinking water??

thank you everyone. No one in our family has overly sensative systems so I am sure that we would be fine.

I have heard that some places that you travel to it is recommended that you not drink the water, so I just wanted to see if this was an issue here as well.

It is nice knowing that there should be no issues if we decide to drink straight from the tap or drink drinks with ice cubes in them from the local water.

Only 2 more days!!

Clarks Summit,Pa
Destination Expert
for St. Croix
7. Re: Drinking water??

Drink beer !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! One more day.......... Yea baby...............

8. Re: Drinking water??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:28 am, September 04, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Christiansted