We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The Bucanneer - which room(s) for family of 4?

Which Christiansted hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Hartford...
reviews: 13
The Bucanneer - which room(s) for family of 4?

We are planning to stay at the Buccaner on St.Croix next April and would like some advice with respect to room selection. My husband and I will be traveling with our 2 sons, ages 11 and 15 years. I am looking at the Family suites for $440 since it allows for some privacy. The Deluxe Ocean front is $440 with 2 queen beds. Finally, the Deluxe House Suite is $525 and has a second BR but the boys would basically be sleeping on day beds. Does anyone who stayed her have any thoughts?

Clarks Summit,Pa
Destination Expert
for St. Croix
reviews: 1
1. Re: The Bucanneer - which room(s) for family of 4?

I have stayed in Room #105 which is a Great House Suite on our last 5 or 6 visits. They are very roomy and comfortable. # 105 is just a bit larger than the other two(?) suites and has a terrifc balcony. The balcony is "L" shaped with table ,chairs and loungers. It is situated on the end of the ground floor which accounts for the extra room inside and on the balcony.The two bathrooms are a big plus. The sleeping arrangements used to be on a pull out couch of sorts but has been changed to 2 small day beds. If your kids are getting to be tall they might be a bit uncomfortable on these units. You may be able to get a cot put in the room for one of them. There are T.V.'s in each room. We have also stayed in The Doubloons and the Great House Ocean view rooms. Some friends and family members that have gone with us over the years have stayed in various rooms in the Great House and I liked them all. There is a lot of variation in the GH rooms. You should probly call the reservations desk and ask them some questions. I have looked into the Family cottages on the hillside and they are nice and may work for you. They are not as private as most other room types because the sidewalk passes right in front of each room. I guess it depends upon how much privacy you want for yourselves. I believe that the only ones that offer some privacy for you will be the rooms that have the Suite designation. The Ficus/Frigate rooms are two bedroom types but kind of expensive. If you have any more questions let me know.

Hartford...
2. Re: The Bucanneer - which room(s) for family of 4?

Thanks StCroixtraveler - very good information. Does the Deluxe house suite have a door to close off from the second bedroom with the daybeds? Also, some of the previous posts (I have read most) said it is noisy in the Great House. Was that a problem for you? We really aren't that picky but I did read that it was a problem for a few posters. Finally, do you usually book far in advance? It's tempting to wait for some deals but there are only so many Suites and Family Cottages and our travel dates aren't fleixible since we booked the airfare already. I do plan to speak with someone in reservations and ask for their suggestion but I like to do a little homework first. Thank you!

Morristown, New...
3. Re: The Bucanneer - which room(s) for family of 4?

We have visited the Buccaneer several times. The first couple of visits we were in the Ficus Suite which is quite nice but expensive (even off season). On our past couple of visits we've stayed in one of the Great House Suites which are also quite nice.

You are right about the day beds, but we were just there in April and our 15 year old son (just over 6 feet) had no problems sleeping.

There is a door between the rooms so there's no problem and there is a second full bathroom.

When we were at The Buccanneer in April, they were fully booked most of the time and noise was not a problem.

Let me know if you have any more questions.

Hartford...
4. Re: The Bucanneer - which room(s) for family of 4?

Thanks lovestx. The Deluxe House Suite sounds nice if I can convince my husband its worth the extra money. If not, the Family Cottage it will be fine. If your son was OK in the day bed, my son, currently at 5'6", will be just fine. Did your son meet other teens? Are there any activities that he really enjoys on the island? We will definately make a trip to Buck Island.

Clarks Summit,Pa
Destination Expert
for St. Croix
reviews: 1
5. Re: The Bucanneer - which room(s) for family of 4?

There is a door between the two rooms that can be LOCKED !!!! I've never had a problem with excess noise anywhere on the grounds. In fact one of the things that I've really enjoyed at The Buc is to sit on the balcony at night and just look out over the grounds in almost absolute silence. Looking at the grounds later at night with all the landscape lighting is just wonderful. Keep in mind that room #105 can't be more than 60 ft. from the reception area. If a band is playing at the bar at night ,you can barely hear them in #105. To illustrate my point, the bar/lounge area is open on the eastern side of the bldg. The balcony for #105 faces east. At least I think it's east. The point being is that they are on the same side of the Great House and not very far apart. If you listen really close,you just might be able to identify the song playing. There are several of the Great House rooms that kind of line up along the driveway up to the reception area. Sometimes you hear gravel crunching when a cab comes in. One of the reasons I can hear that from #105 is that there is a little shuttered sort of window on that side of the first room. If you leave the slats open on the window you occasionally hear a little bit of "noise". Also last year there was a new wall of sorts put up along the driveway along the walkway for the G.H.suites. I guess it was to keep the nosie down. I liked it better the old way. You came out of the room and you could look out over the island and it was a really neat view. The new wall blocks that view. No big deal. One more point. Perhaps you could consider booking two rooms for your family. Booking two Mtn.view rooms under the family half price special is cheaper than getting one Great House suite. I forgot your travel dates but just check out the website for the details/rates for your visit. Good Luck. The Buc is a unique resort and just wonderful. The island is our favorite out of all the ones we've been to. We depart on 6/28 for our 11th visit.

boston
Destination Expert
for Christiansted
reviews: 71
6. Re: The Bucanneer - which room(s) for family of 4?

You've gotten great advice from people who have direct experience with some of the suites. I can add some about the Family cottages since we've stayed in the same room (#168--a Family cottage) for eight years and are returning in February.

First, do not wait for deals. If it's a school vacation week, the Buccaneer will book up (they are becoming increasingly popular with families) and won't offer a deal. We always book our return visit before leaving STX...and others do as well.

The Family Cottages are slightly less "luxurious" than the GH suites or the Ficus/Frigate suites but work well for our family. A large master bedroom with king, mini fridge, desk, t.v. and safe. The second bedroom has two twins, t.v. and dresser/closet. Both have picture windows. The master room also has a window and day bed at the back of the room. There is one bathroom and an extra sink in a separate area. I think the master bedroom is as nice as GH rooms but the bathroom is not as nice (think corian rather than granite).

I know that STCroixtraveler would miss his balcony if at a Family Cottage; however, I have never been concerned about it. We sit out on our patio early in the morning in our bathrobes (call me crazy!) and rarely feel uncomfortable. People do pass by but you are a long way from them on your patio.

There are only 8 family cottages and I would highly recommend asking for Rooms 168, 169, 170 or 171 as they have the best views out over the Caribbean. You may hear some background music in your room at night until 11 p.m. but that has never bothered us. Just adds to the experience!

Morristown, New...
7. Re: The Bucanneer - which room(s) for family of 4?

The week we were there (Easter week) there were a large number of families and a good number of teens. They had a couple of teen only events scheduled (beach volleyball, etc.) and they showed movies every night which seemed to draw a good crowd.

We played golf and went diving a couple of days (with St. Croix Scuba) so my son wasn't around much during the day. The day's he was, there was no problem finding other teens hanging around Mermaid Beach or at the Grotto pool.

Hartford...
8. Re: The Bucanneer - which room(s) for family of 4?

Thank you all for your great, detailed feedback. I think I'll call the resort tomorrow and make reservations. We'll probably end up in a family cottage but the patio from the Great House Suite looked tempting. I will not try to wait for a bargain, especially since repeat visitors book so far in advance. I'm sure my boys will find others to hang out with. They are very social. We're also trying to convince another family to join us. I've read a lot about the Buccaneer and I'm sure we'll love it.

boston
Destination Expert
for Christiansted
reviews: 71
9. Re: The Bucanneer - which room(s) for family of 4?

lovethecape--

Sounds like a great decision and I am confident that you will like the Buccaneer. We (and others) have found that it's a place that "grows on you". Don't expect the Ritz or Four Seasons. As others have said before, it's more of a laid back country club without the exclusivity.

Have to ask since I "lovethecape" as well...is it Cape Cod? And, if so, where? We have a place in Brewster and there is only one place I'd rather be than there--and that's the Buccaneer!

Hartford...
10. Re: The Bucanneer - which room(s) for family of 4?

ccrosner - We love the Virgin Islands and I know we'll love the Buccaneer. We are not looking for the Ritz. The Buccaneer is what actually attracted us to St. Croix. Thanks for all your help. I've also read many of your previous posts and will continue to. I really enjoy planning our vacations.

Yes, it's Cape Cod and we have a little place in Harwich Port. We spend 3-4 weeks there and rent it out for about a month to our repeat renters. We'll be up in a few weeks. I have to say I prefer the Caribbean water temperatures. I go in the Cape water on a bi-annual basis!

Get answers to your questions about Christiansted