We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ford explorer and parking

Mattapoisett, MA
reviews: 11
Ford explorer and parking

Hi - we will be visiting st. Croix for the first time in January. I am getting ready to do our car rental. We are 4 adults. Two of the people are fairly tall so we are thinking of a ford explorer. Would this size car be any problem for parking at the different beaches around the island? Or just in general? We also like the space for all our suitcases and snorkel equipment, but can go smaller if we need to.

Thanks, sue

9 replies to this topic
Bedford, New...
1. Re: Ford explorer and parking

You'll have no problems. We just rented a Dodge Caravan for two weeks at the beginning of July to haul around all my HC stuff and it worked out just fine.

Enjoy your stay, Jim

St Thomas
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas
reviews: 15
2. Re: Ford explorer and parking

I drive an Explorer on STT which is far less of a navigable island than STX and I have absolutely no problems with it at all. A very comfortable ride and lots of space. Have fun!

Mattapoisett, MA
reviews: 11
3. Re: Ford explorer and parking

Thanks! We've been to both St. Thomas and St. John. On St. John we like the small jeep, but for this trip it will be a lot easier with the bigger car.

Sue

Boston
reviews: 18
4. Re: Ford explorer and parking

It is no problem but on STX you do not need a 4 Wheel drive like you do on STT and STJ. It is not as hilly by any means. We usually just rent a regular car.

St Thomas
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas
5. Re: Ford explorer and parking

I second that. 4WD isn't necessary on STT either (30 years and I've owned one 4WD vehicle and never used the option). My Explorer isn't 4WD.

New Britain...
reviews: 19
6. Re: Ford explorer and parking

You won't need the AWD but the high ground clearance is nice to have, even on STX. There's a spot on the west end of Mahogany Rd. that is permanently washed out. I have to cross it if I want to go to the Domino Club to visit Norma.

San Diego...
reviews: 2
7. Re: Ford explorer and parking

A minivan has both high ground clearance and superior room - we never turned back from any off-road adventure in STX and saved a TON of money vs. the "jungle/rain forest tours" tourist-traps that every island promotes. The goofball receptionist at Centerline tried to say that a Ford Explorer was really "considered a minivan here Mon", but we weren't fooled and in minutes the new Kia minivan "fell out of the sky, lol". The owner of the joint later apologized to us in mid-town, and we all had a horselaugh together watching the locals sucking down Caribe beer while they filled their gas tanks (no open-container laws in St. Croix). Rent in advance form a major airport vendor to save some serious coin!

Edited: 4:30 am, August 16, 2014
St Thomas
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas
8. Re: Ford explorer and parking

Not sure of your point really. The OP has only four in their party and the Explorer has more than enough clearance to handle the roads and conditions here. I'd take a Ford Explorer over any sort of Kia any day on any of the islands!

Boston
reviews: 18
9. Re: Ford explorer and parking

STT - don't waste your time responding to the minivan. It is someone who comes onto the STX forum periodically with a different id every time and posts rather inaccurate, negative information. Best to ignore and hope they go away. I thought it was against forum rules to keep setting up new IDs.

Reply to: Ford explorer and parking
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted