We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hubby & I have driver's license plus kids' birth certs. ok?

Albany, New York
reviews: 9
Hubby & I have driver's license plus kids' birth certs. ok?

We have raised seal birth certificates for our kids, but only driver's licenses for us. I thought we didn't need anything else, but now I'm reading that most people bring birth certificates as well for themselves? Uh oh! We leave Monday afternoon!!

Sarah

10 replies to this topic
St Thomas
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas
reviews: 15
1. Re: Hubby & I have driver's license plus kids' birth certs. ok?

Ideally you should carry a copy of your birth certificate if you don't have a passport, in case you're asked for proof of citizenship. Worse case scenario is that you'll be asked a couple of questions if you happen to exit on a day they're conducting an exercise but it's nothing to be concerned about. Enjoy a great vacation!

Albany, New York
2. Re: Hubby & I have driver's license plus kids' birth certs. ok?

Oh, phew! Stranded in St. Croix wouldn't be so bad...but I think our dogs would miss us!! ;)

Boston
reviews: 18
3. Re: Hubby & I have driver's license plus kids' birth certs. ok?

You will be fine. If you do have a copy of your birth certificate for you and your husband, you could throw it in the bag, otherwise I would not worry about it at all. If you do have a passport, I would bring it but you do not NEED it. Thousands of people go to and from the USVI every week with a license with no problems.

Only a governmental issued picture ID is required, i.e. a license with a picture on it. There is a lot of discussion on this board about passports and birth certificates, but they are not required. They do make things easier if they choose to question you but I have never, in many years read anything about anyone missing their plane because they only had a license..

In addition, the reality is if a passport or other document were required for a particular destination (or your return to the US), a US airline will not let you board the aircraft because it would subject them to a big fine. This has actually happened to me (not for the USVI but the premise is the same.) and I was not allowed to get on the plane. Also, it is one of the things that the government of the USVI uses for advertisements and is a big draws to the USVI - NO PASSPORT REQUIRED!!!

Go on your trip and enjoy St Croix!

Wake Forest, North...
reviews: 87
4. Re: Hubby & I have driver's license plus kids' birth certs. ok?

"No passport required" for US citizens to get "in" to USVI. They don't really say anything about getting out:) The one time out of many trips I got grilled I mentioned the adds to the immigrations guy, of course he said they prefer passports to get to the mainland but didn't come out and say it was required.

St Thomas
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas
reviews: 15
5. Re: Hubby & I have driver's license plus kids' birth certs. ok?

This is the official word. Note the last sentence in the first paragraph:

https:/…0

Albany, New York
6. Re: Hubby & I have driver's license plus kids' birth certs. ok?

We have expired passports that expired maybe two years ago! Should we bother bringing those?

One of the draws of St. Croix was not having to purchase passports for our family of five (over $500!), so I'm hoping we are good. Thanks for all the replies!

Sarah

Boston
reviews: 18
7. Re: Hubby & I have driver's license plus kids' birth certs. ok?

Yes, bring your expired passport with your license. My sister has done that before.

With regard to the posting by Homeland Security, recommended and required are two very different things.

Manchester, New...
8. Re: Hubby & I have driver's license plus kids' birth certs. ok?

Also if you can, add you middle initials to the airline reservations. We had an issue in Customs one year when we didn't use them - dad's name was on the no fly list - fortunately it wasn't him! He does have a very common name however!

Bedford, New...
9. Re: Hubby & I have driver's license plus kids' birth certs. ok?

Hi Sarah,

That would be me who got detained for a bit, but we still made our flight. :-) Stacyrn07, I and five other members of our family leave Sunday morning for STX for two weeks. We have been many time and still get excited to go back. It's our home away from home.

Enjoy your stay, Jim B

San Diego...
reviews: 2
10. Re: Hubby & I have driver's license plus kids' birth certs. ok?

ITS THE USA! Like Puerto Rico, all you need is your US driver's license. The differences? Drinking age is 18, and thee are no open container laws in the US Virgin Islands. Oh yeah, the PR Costcos do have great burgers n' fries! :)

Edited: 5:00 am, August 16, 2014
Reply to: Hubby & I have driver's license plus kids' birth certs. ok?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted