We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Excursions aren't cheap!!! Any cheap/low-cost/free must-see?

Albany, New York
reviews: 9
Excursions aren't cheap!!! Any cheap/low-cost/free must-see?

So with a family of five, I'm finding out that we'll probably be able to do three or four "big" excursions in St. Croix next week--most likely Equus horseback riding, Big Beard's to Buck Island, Gecko's ATV/Jet-Ski package, and Sea-Thru Kayaks.

Adding that up times five?!? A BUNDLE!

What are some cheaper filler things to do/see with kids ages 7, 9, 11? I'm thinking Cruzan tour, beer-drinking pigs, smoothies...drive through the rainforest? Pt. Udall.

Anything else? Oh and where are hermit crab races July 8-14th?

Thanks...we head off this MONDAY! Cannot wait!!

Sarah

19 replies to this topic
1. Re: Excursions aren't cheap!!! Any cheap/low-cost/free must-see?

Hiking, especially to the tide pools, snorkeling, touring the forts. Are the woodcarvers still there? Tour the Ridge to Reef farm.

Albany, New York
2. Re: Excursions aren't cheap!!! Any cheap/low-cost/free must-see?

Thanks! We'll definitely be snorkeling and hiking that's for sure. What is the wood carver?

Boston
reviews: 18
3. Re: Excursions aren't cheap!!! Any cheap/low-cost/free must-see?

You are packing a lot into your trip. We always plan on doing a lot but once we get there just end up doing one or two. You will find that things really slow down there. You will probably find that you spend a lot of time just hanging out at the beach and swimming and snorkeling.

A nice hike and beach near Pt. Udall and the Divi is Jack and Isaacs Bay. If you do a search you should find out how to get there.

Here is a different link for things to do:

http://www.stcroixtourism.com/places.htm

I like Whim Plantation which is pretty close to the Rum factory and it is pretty cheap to get into.

Frederick, Maryland
4. Re: Excursions aren't cheap!!! Any cheap/low-cost/free must-see?

The full moon is on July 12th, so the bio-luminescent kayak tour may not be the best (or available).

Gardnerville, Nevada
reviews: 19
5. Re: Excursions aren't cheap!!! Any cheap/low-cost/free must-see?

I believe that the crab races are held somewhere on the island every night of the week. I also believe that they are still held on Monday nights at the Brew Pub on the Boardwalk in Christiansted. Otherwise, they are held at different hotels. Kids all go home with a prize even if their crab doesn't win (at least the time that we were there.) And don't forget to feed the chicken wing bones to the giant tarpon waiting just beside the boardwalk at the Brew Pub and Rum Runners.

Lexington, Kentucky
reviews: 30
6. Re: Excursions aren't cheap!!! Any cheap/low-cost/free must-see?

I wonder if the reference to the wood carver would be the man at the St. Croix LEAP project in the rain forest. Its a little hard to find and a very different experience/adventure. Interesting but borderline bizarre. We went a few years ago and purchased some beautiful hand made Mahogany pieces.

Since you and your family seem fairly active another activity for you to consider would be Stand up Paddle boarding (SUP) at Freedom City. It is a short walk down the beach from The Cottages.

Albany, New York
7. Re: Excursions aren't cheap!!! Any cheap/low-cost/free must-see?

Was definitely thinking we might meander down to SUP! So many rave reviews for all sorts of cool, kid- friendly experiences...that's more my speed rather than shopping!! ( though I LOVE those silver Crucian hook bracelets...and I'm not a jewelry kind of girl!!)

Albany, New York
8. Re: Excursions aren't cheap!!! Any cheap/low-cost/free must-see?

Oh, and now Equus is out since Cowboy Steve is on vacation. So we'll go with Paul & Jill's.

So we'll probably do free kayaking at Cottages off and on and skip kayaking formally this go-round!

New Britain...
reviews: 19
9. Re: Excursions aren't cheap!!! Any cheap/low-cost/free must-see?

Just want to clarify that Freedom city is NOT a Short walk from Cottages. It's a couple of miles. Freedom City is a short walk north of the fort in Fredericksted.

St. Croix
Destination Expert
for St. Croix
reviews: 82
10. Re: Excursions aren't cheap!!! Any cheap/low-cost/free must-see?

Be sure to tour the grounds of Whim Plantation (free) to see what an old time estate looks like. I know Buck Island is promoted as a must but I don't think it's worth the money for 5 people. You can snorkel so many other better places for free. One of the best at the west end is at the north end of Rainbow (you will see white buoys). Hike to the Tidal Pools and to Jacks & Isaacs Bay. Crab Races are a must. $2 a crab. Mondays at the Brew Pub, Wednesdays at Divi, and Fridays at Tamarind Reef. There is lots to do that doesn't cost money.

Reply to: Excursions aren't cheap!!! Any cheap/low-cost/free must-see?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted