We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

st croix or st thomas

Fairfield, Vermont
Level Contributor
27 posts
st croix or st thomas

we are planning our honeymoon july 19-26,2015. my questions are which island is better st croix or st thomas? our budget is $2000. we want to lay on the beach /swim and relax. also some touring and shopping!! .we would like to take day trips to st john as well..if we stayed in st croix can we visit st thomas and st john on day trips? best place to stay as far as hotels? we want to be able to step right out onto the beach!! please help us

Hamilton, NJ
Level Contributor
56 posts
60 reviews
21. Re: st croix or st thomas

I'd recommend looking at a timeshare rental on stt. We go at least once a year and are very happy! Not sure where you're flying from, but book airfare as early as possible. I book as soon as the airlines open and usually get around 500 pp from Newark nj. You can rent a studio unit at bluebeards beach club for prob 700/week. Island beachcomber is a low star hotel on a nice beach for like 129/nite. (Def get the oceanfront rooms). We budget between 800-1000 for my hubby and I. If you do timeshare with a kitchen it can be cheaper. All in we usually run about 2800 a week including car and everything.

Fairfield, Vermont
Level Contributor
27 posts
22. Re: st croix or st thomas

Thank u! We are flying from Burlington , vermont , prices will be high in sure , we are thinking about maybe going to Florida instead.. It will be cheaper I think.. But really want to go to stt

North Carolina
Level Contributor
366 posts
1 review
23. Re: st croix or st thomas

I would rather go to Florida than STT but that's just me. You can get some killer deals in Mexico ( Rivera Maya or Isla Mujeres) with an AI plan but you would need a passport. We just came back from ST John in June and we loved it but the USVI is an expensive destination.

Wake Forest, North...
Level Contributor
261 posts
106 reviews
24. Re: st croix or st thomas

STJ is expensive but STX and to some extent STT can be less expensive than some other Caribbean destinations.

Manchester, New...
Level Contributor
52 posts
13 reviews
25. Re: st croix or st thomas

Here are some thoughts...we recently flew from Boston to St Croix and was almost 900pp. Cheaper definitely to St Thomas. Try flying from Manchester or Boston if you can, more choices with airlines. Could be worth it! Also, if you decide to rent a condo, that may be the cheapest option as you won't have to eat out all the time. Also the owners often give great summer rates.

Another option might be San Juan - have you thought about that? Its really cool, usually cheaper to fly to. There is the Bacardi distillery, rain forest, beaches, cool downtown in Old San Juan. Might be something else to look into. Check with a local travel agent if you're set on staying at a hotel. Personally we like the freedom of renting a condo/house!

Also remember things cost more on the islands - gas, groceries, etc. Make sure you budget enough for those things!

Florida is beautiful as well and can ALMOST feel like the caribbean. Check out the Clearwater area of Florida as another option. Siesta Key is also great with great vacation rentals available!

New Jersey
Level Contributor
2,302 posts
6 reviews
26. Re: st croix or st thomas

Another option is a tent/cottage at Cinnamon bay campground on St. John. My family loved our stay there.

Niskayuna, New York
Destination Expert
for Aruba
Level Contributor
3,468 posts
149 reviews
27. Re: st croix or st thomas

Another thought--and this is absolutely none of my business--you might be better off biting the passport bullet. Your passports are valid for ten years and hopefully your future will include more travel. You would get much more bang for your honeymoon travel buck if you chose a more economical destination, like Mexico or the DR, especially if you want a splashy resort experience.

Good luck with your decision--felicitations on your upcoming marriage!

San Diego...
Level Contributor
28 posts
2 reviews
28. Re: st croix or st thomas

Some really nice east-side condos (through VRBO.com) include a rent-a-car at around $1200/week. Our friends work as busy professionals in St. Thomas and St. Johns and they too prefer St. Croix. STX is your best friend, huge compared to St. Thomas and more DIY tourist-friendly with warm local hospitality and roads any car can cover, off-road or on-road...a real honeymooner's paradise! Jacks Beach alohas!

Raleigh, North...
Level Contributor
13 posts
29. Re: st croix or st thomas

For longer stays and a quiet beach environment I prefer the Sugar Beach Resort. It's a condo resort so you have a nice variety of rooms. Guessing you would just want a nice 1br unit on the beach. Depending on where you are flying from St. Croix is generally cheaper for airfare. I recommend calling the toll free line which goes directly to the resort unlike others that go to booking agents. They offer specials and can help you with the best available for your budget.

30. Re: st croix or st thomas

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, August 20, 2015
Get answers to your questions about St. Croix