We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need some advice please...

Iowa
reviews: 1
Need some advice please...

Hello, I really appreciate all the knowledge gained from this forum. You are all so helpful! My wife, 13 year old son and I will be going on our dream vacation to St. Croix June 18th to June 30th. Since we have never been there and don’t travel much I am hoping not to mess it up. I have a couple of questions I could really use some help on.

We will be staying at Colony Cove the whole time. The first three days we will just stay put. We will rent a car for the remaining week. We plan on going to Buck Island for a day trip and will also be doing the bioluminescent tour with see through kayaks. The rest of the time is open to explore the island and snorkel. We are love wildlife so we are hoping to see a lot of it.

Now to my questions: From this forum I have heard about many wonderful restaurants and grocery stores. How do you go about finding these places? Is there a map with the restaurants and grocery stores on it?

I have also learned that the Hotel on the Cay has a Tuesday night buffet and fun night and that the Carambola Resort has a Pirate Buffet on Friday nights with the local music and dancing. Are there other places that offer the same type of fun activities?

We will be flying into St. Thomas at 3:28pm on American. Our Seaborne flight is scheduled to depart at 4:00. Will I have to get our bags at the St. Thomas airport and check them in with Seaborne airlines, or will they do that? Do you think we will have enough time to catch the Seaborne flight?

One more question please. Where on St. Croix is the best place to see wildlife, especially iguanas?

Looks like I asked more than just a couple of questions. I would also very much appreciate any other ideas or advice anyone may have. I don’t want to miss something fantastic and then regret it.

Thanks so much.

Brad

32 replies to this topic
Gardnerville, Nevada
reviews: 19
31. Re: Need some advice please...

I don't see that anyone has mentioned that major cross streets are only identified from one direction, not the other. However, from the other direction you will see a "plus" sign indicating a cross street and this will be your clue that you are coming to a major (on the map) intersection. Once we realized this, we never had any trouble navigating with the pocket maps that are available for free at the airport.

Greenville, South...
reviews: 161
32. Re: Need some advice please...

Judi of St. Croix is wonderful to work with. They meet you at the airport, and take one person to get the rental car, while others wait for their bags. You then return the car to the airport property - they tell you where to park it. I recommend exploring the entire island. You must have 4-wheel drive for the Scenic Rd. Even with that, it can be a little dangerous with huge potholes. The Friday Night Pirate's Buffet at the Carambola is wonderful. Hopefully the mocko-jumbies will be the entertainment. I also recommend going to the Carambola for either breakfast or lunch one day - beautiful setting overlooking the water of Davis Bay. Cane Bay is close to the Carambola and is a wonderful spot for snorkeling. Good places to eat there are Eat @Cane Bay and Rowdy Joe's. We love STX and can't wait to return, hopefully in November!

Reply to: Need some advice please...
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted