We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The Buccaneer

Which St. Croix hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Madison, Wisconsin
The Buccaneer

Hi everyone, I'm hoping to ask some specific questions about St. Croix soon from all of you expert advisors but our priority first is picking the right place. We booked a family cottage at the buccaneer in April and the negative reviews all seem to say the same thing about terrible service and complete lack of respect for guests and the worn out bug filled rooms and the food being overpriced for quality. But the many positive reviews are the opposite. What concerns me is the hotel never responds to negative reviews and in my Trip Advisor experience that is a bad sign. There are far too many positive reviews to convince me it's a bad decision to stay there. What's up with the negative reviews all being about the same issues? Is it really that bad? Or are these travelers who probably complain about every place?

Thanks for your advice. We are staying with our 6 and 2 year old.

7 replies to this topic
Clarks Summit,Pa
Destination Expert
for St. Croix
reviews: 1
1. Re: The Buccaneer

The Buccaneer is a fabulous property. The staff is about as friendly and helpful as it gets. If you're friendly to them you will get the same in return , doubled. If you are grumpy and demanding ,well they might not be quite as friendly, after all they are human beings too. I sometimes ask if there are 2 different Buccaneers on STX, the one I go to and some other one somewhere else on the island. We have been there about 19 or 20 times and hope to make it 100 visits. I can not for the life of me understand what some people find to be so bad about the place. If you are looking for perfection in all things then I suggest that these types just stay away from STX and find that perfect spot...I have yet to find it but for my time and money, you simply can not beat The Buccaneer...We have never gone in season so I guess that my comments have to be taken with that in mind. Also having been to many other islands,Mexico,S.America and all over this country, I'm absolutely certain that The Buccaneer is one of the best values in the Caribbean. Some people just won't say anything unless it's a complaint. To try and address each one of your above questions, let me say #1 some of the rooms are a bit outdated and show some signs of wear. I've never stayed anywhere that I probably could have found things to whine about. Further, The Buc continually remodels all of the rooms. They don't do every single room, every single year. It's possible that someone stayed in a room that was up for remodeilng and if so it 's understandable that they would see some things that needed attention. I can tell you that I've stayed in or checked out every single room category and there is no such thing as a"bad" room...period..As far as bug filled rooms, that is just another overstatement. First off, you are in the tropics and the tropics have bugs. One of the girls on staff at The Buc made a comment to me one time regarding the "bug problem". She said that when someone thinks that the resort should have a bug eradication program, they simply do not realize what they are talking about. The reason being is that the entire island would have to rid of bugs completley or else it wouldn't work. As far as tthe people who say the rooms are full of bedbugs, the explanation for that is that there are no bedbugs. These people go out and get bitten up either by mosquitos or most likely those dreaded noseeums. Those noseeums are so small and pervasive that you probaly will never know that they're around until it's too late and you have already been bitten. They get me on every visit and sometimes even my wife too. Believe me, there are no bedbugs at The Buc....As far as the comments on the food, if you dine at any resort, anywhere in the Caribbean you can expect to pay dearly. The Buc is no different than the rest in this regard. Add to this,the general fact that restaurants in the Caribbean are pricey. One must be prepared for that when you travel to that area. The food at the main restaurant for dinner is very good and it is a bit upscale, so you can expect to pay higher prices. You'll find lots of other good restaurant options all over the island. I'll add one more remark about what I think of your choice, you have made a very good one. You would be hard pressed to find a better option for you and your family. My oldest son has stayed in the Family cottages with his 3 children and they loved it. Both he and his wife along with myself and my wife have traveled quite a bit, so we are not rookies in that respect Your kids will love the place, with it's beaches and pool options, at least I know that my kids and grandchildren did. The buffet breakfast that comes free with the room rate is the PERFECT way to start your day with children. No going to reastaurants, paying high prices for stuff that they won't even touch. You have a terrific selection of items that will suit the younger ones ,pancakes, cereal,pastries,juices ,fruit, french toast and lots more. Don't beat yourself up, you will have a wonderful time. Just go with an open mind and be prepared for one of the best experiences in the Caribbean....

Santa Monica, CA
Destination Expert
for Santa Monica
reviews: 159
2. Re: The Buccaneer

I've happily visited the Buc and hope to stay there someday. There is one thing you can do to help yourself while visiting St. Croix, and that is to greet everyone with a Good morning, good afternoon, good night. It is the custom and a very nice one, if I might add!

It's not uncommon for some resort visitors to have expectations of royalty. St. Croix is very laid-back and relaxed. If you act like a loud-mouthed tourist, locals are more apt to avoid you, and that's going to include hotel staff. I have a feeling that the negative nellies are overbearing Americans by nature and their behaviors can cause friction.

A smile and kindness will go a long way.

Madison, Wisconsin
3. Re: The Buccaneer

Thanks so much for your comments. They were helpful. I truly appreciate it.

boston
Destination Expert
for Christiansted
reviews: 71
4. Re: The Buccaneer

Stcroixtraveler (as usual) has nailed it. But I will add just a couple of comments.

I think most of the disgruntled reviewers of the Buccaneer were expecting a Ritz or Four Seasons even though they are paying Marriott prices. We first started visiting the Buccaneer in 1998 and stayed in a Family Cottage as we could not find another resort in the Caribbean that gave us two rooms (we had very young children at the time) for the price of a Family Cottage. We liked it so much that we returned for about 10 years staying in the same room (I highly recommend 168, 169, 170 and 171 for the best views). Then we switched to rooms in the Great House as our 'young son' grew to 6'2" and didn't fit well in the twin beds anymore.

I can't tell you why the Buccaneer does not respond to negative reviews but it is not a bad sign. I think they have probably decided that you cannot please everyone (How are you going to nicely tell someone that their no see um bites are not bed bug bites?).

If you go to the Buccaneer and St. Croix with the right expectations (it is not a Ritz or Atlantis and St. Croix is not Bermuda or Aruba), you will have a wonderful time.

Elkhart Indiana
Destination Expert
for St. Croix
5. Re: The Buccaneer

As a side note to CCRosner and StCroixTravelers' comments. Until you have stayed for any length of time or visited the islands very often you cannot begin to understand what salt water and winds can do to structures. "You ain't in Kansas anymore" .. we are right on the ocean at Pelican Cove .. I could probably wash the windows 4 times a day and they still look dirty ... have to mop sea spray off screens almost daily. Everything rusts almost instantly so what looks like wear and tear to a guest could possibly be the next place of for continual maintenance.

Agree with CCRosner that why defend yourself to people that have already made up their mind ... let the satisfied guests speak for you with great reviews

Gardnerville, Nevada
reviews: 15
6. Re: The Buccaneer

I've stayed at Gentle Winds Condominiums in several different units and have never seen any bugs. I know they have a bug service that sprays inside the units monthly and there are screens on all the windows so this could be the reason. Although, I have heard of bugs that came home from the grocery store in Top Ramen of all things. So I guess what I am saying is that you don't have to expect bugs inside because you are in the Caribbean. When it comes to bugs I think there are degrees of offensiveness, e.g. cock roaches would not be acceptable. And I agree that in all the cases that I know of, it's no see ums that create the bites, not bed bugs. In fact, I would go so far as to say that if the bites are on an exposed part of the skin you can rule out bed bugs.

New England
reviews: 3
7. Re: The Buccaneer

Hi,

We just returned from the Buccaneer. As the others have said, there are things that aren't perfect but no where is. The best part of the place , aside from the absolute beauty, was the service! We did not encounter one negative person on staff in 10 days. Service was at times slow at the restaurants, but it's island time and heck, what's the rush when you've got a beautiful view? We were there when the hotel was filled to capacity and I do think it stretched some of the service staff. Housekeeping was totally unpredictable in terms of the time the came. But, we also never said anything until the day it was 5pm and the room was still not clean. Again-Amazing service! The staff were apologetic and took care of it right away and we never had another issue. So our experience was if you have a concern and ask about it in a polite way, the staff could not be more helpful.

Go and have a great time!!

Reply to: The Buccaneer
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted