We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

September on St. Croix!! Super low season?

Oslo, Norway
reviews: 19
September on St. Croix!! Super low season?

Hi everyone!

Posted a few days ago in the Fredriksted forum, but it's pretty quiet, so I thought I would repost over here to get some more input!

Here is the original post:

We are planning a 5 day trip to St. Croix after a transatlantic cruise ends in San Juan. It looks like an amazing place to decompress and get our land legs back.

Because we will have spent the previous 14 days on a Disney ship, the idea of the 'quiet' side of St Croix is very appealing. We are leaning towards booking Cottages by the Sea, and I have read many reviews that say a lot is closed in September. So, I want to know, is the restaurant next door at SandCastle closed all of September? Is there anything within walking distance? Is this part of the island deserted end of September?

I love the look of cottages by the sea, but if that part of the island is totally deserted, is it better to stay on the other side?

Any info is appreciated! Thanks so much!

Elkhart Indiana
Destination Expert
for St. Croix
1. Re: September on St. Croix!! Super low season?

I saw your original post Norwegian W but we have always stayed on the East end and always in March so as much as I wish I could help you I can't. The most help I can be is that as far as Frd'sted goes if there are cruise ships in port the places are open ... I think your best bet would be to contact Cottages and ask them about the availability of places open to eat. I am sure that there are places along the coast line that are open. You didn't say if you were planning to rent a car, which might be a great idea, and if you are I am sure that you will find many places nearby to eat at. I would think after a Disney Cruise you would mainly want to find bars :)

Santa Monica, CA
Destination Expert
for Santa Monica
reviews: 196
2. Re: September on St. Croix!! Super low season?

We visited the island in July 2011 and there were places that were closed, mostly on the North shore at Cane Bay. August and September are the most likely months for hurricane activity. Here is an article that explains it:

www.grandworldtravel.com/default.asp…

I've been to the Caribbean three times in off season, end of June, early July and end of August. We purchased trip insurance all three times. If I visit again during Hurricane season, it will be in June or early July as there are still some shops and restaurants open and the early part of the season will see fewer storms. As the water warms during summer, the risk increases. By August, tourism really drops off and it is more cost effective for tourist-driven businesses to simply close.

If I were you, I'd consider renting nearer to Christensted. Take a look at Tamarind Reef or consider a condo (Pelican Cove is very nice - have stayed there). My reasoning is that C'sted is the "big" town, so more of the businesses will probably be open.

Cochrane, Canada
reviews: 11
3. Re: September on St. Croix!! Super low season?

Hi we are east enders so no info on Fredricksted but... We were in st Croix this past sept for 2 weeks. It is very quiet. We loved it. So laid back and relaxed. There are still restaurants open just not all of them. Like the other reply said. Give the place you are planning on staying at a call. See what's open around you. I am sure some places will be. Enjoy!

Cochrane, Canada
reviews: 11
4. Re: September on St. Croix!! Super low season?

Hi we are east enders so no info on Fredricksted but... We were in st Croix this past sept for 2 weeks. It is very quiet. We loved it. So laid back and relaxed. There are still restaurants open just not all of them. Like the other reply said. Give the place you are planning on staying at a call. See what's open around you. I am sure some places will be. Enjoy!

St. Croix
Destination Expert
for St. Croix
reviews: 84
5. Re: September on St. Croix!! Super low season?

Some places do close for a week or two in Sept. Check with Cottages and Sandcastles before booking. It's a great place to stay. You will love it

New Britain...
6. Re: September on St. Croix!! Super low season?

We stayed at Cottages last September. The restaurant next door, Beachside Cafe, was closed. There is nothing close enough to walk. Rent a car. There are good places to eat in F'sted. Try Rose's. It's new this year. Family owned and operated. Good cookin' there. For pizza Lost Dog is my first choise. Napolean's is good too.

The weather was HOT, even for the locals. Rain was infrequent, hard and short in duration The Ac at cottages has been upgraded to the latest split style and worked great when we needed it. The beach was empty and the sea bottom sandy. Perfect for a relaxing dip.

It was one of the most relaxing visits we've had to STX.

Oslo, Norway
7. Re: September on St. Croix!! Super low season?

Thanks everyone for the great replies!!

I will email Cottages and get their input as well.

Growing up on the Gulf Coast, I'm aware of the hazards of hurricane season, but also know it's hit and miss every year. Hopefully 2014 will be another quiet year in the Carribean/Gulf of Mexico!

We are going last week of September, so hopefully it won't be oppressively hot.

Bassman, when in September were you there? Which cottage did you stay in? The place seems great!!

8. Re: September on St. Croix!! Super low season?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, December 16, 2014