We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How to find the lowest airfares to St. Croix

Which St. Croix hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
How to find the lowest airfares to St. Croix

I am hoping to travel from the Washington, DC area to St. Croix in January and June, 2014, and am wondering if anyone has any suggestions for how to find the lowest airfares,for what are the least expensive travel days, and for how far in advance to purchase airline tickets. Many thanks!

13 replies to this topic
boston
Destination Expert
for Christiansted
reviews: 66
1. Re: How to find the lowest airfares to St. Croix

I think we all had this crystal ball, Sam. I got really lucky this year and booked flights from Boston in March that were about $450 a piece. Found them doing a Kayak search on a Tuesday (which is supposed to be the best day to book flights). Personally, I just use Kayak randomly starting about 9 months out from our usual March trips. When they get below $600, I buy. I've usually been lucky.

Virginia
2. Re: How to find the lowest airfares to St. Croix

Sometimes I chalk it up to dumb luck but my experience has shown me that patience, persistence and readiness often pays in the end. I set a realistic buy point in my head for the season and conduct random searches for months in advance. It’s critical for me that I search with correct passenger counts and ages. I can’t tell you many times I’ve been greeted with a wonderful price for 2 seats when I needed 3 and running the search correctly the second time brings disappointment. By that same token I am always prepared to buy when I get close to the target. I’ve seen availability vanish in the time it’s taken my screen to refresh. I double-check my flight dates, have my credit card and everyone’s birthdates handy and buy. Lastly I don’t get impatient unless my arrival date and time is critical which is rare.

Edited: 11:28 am, October 30, 2013
Elkhart Indiana
Destination Expert
for St. Croix
3. Re: How to find the lowest airfares to St. Croix

My approach is the same as Carol and Jet above ... we are flying in February and I think I purchased my tickets in July ... we are somewhat picky and prefer going through Miami as opposed to SJU and we like American and we prefer the 5:30 a.m. flight getting us into St. Croix at 2:30 so when I get the St. Croix itch I start monitoring American's site daily and once I hit that sweet price which is either lower or the same as the previous year I buy ... I did that this year and should have bought a lottery ticket the same day because I have checked a couple of times a week just to see if anything lower pops up and it hasn't.

Frederick, Maryland
4. Re: How to find the lowest airfares to St. Croix

You'll find the lowest fares on American from Reagan or Dulles airports. As others have said, mid-week flights cost the least. I booked several months ago for our December trip and the cost now is 50% more.

Santa Monica, CA
Destination Expert
for Santa Monica
reviews: 157
5. Re: How to find the lowest airfares to St. Croix

I do a kayak.com search, choose the flights I like best (usually American), then set a daily reminder. It seems that about 4 months before the trip and on a Monday or Tuesday, I'll see some movement. I booked in August for our December trip. I had been looking since early July and there was no change in airfare until that 4 month mark. When it dropped, it went from $1500 to $700. For us from CA, that's a good price (it's hovering around $1150 now, but worse flights than I secured in August).

boston
Destination Expert
for Christiansted
6. Re: How to find the lowest airfares to St. Croix

Have to pop in here and say welcome to stx_limin....love your screen name!

Wheaton, Illinois
Destination Expert
for St. Croix
reviews: 2
7. Re: How to find the lowest airfares to St. Croix

Just booked at $543 + taxes, AA, ORD to STX, via MIA, March. Lowest I have seen in the past 6 months so am not going to take the chance of waiting any longer. Thrilled to have a trip on the books to look forward to - last year was great as we made several trips to STX, this year we made only one last February. Missing it greatly!

Hope to see ya'll in March, Tribe!

- Margy

boston
Destination Expert
for Christiansted
8. Re: How to find the lowest airfares to St. Croix

Great fare, Margy! Congrats!!

Looking forward to seeing you again...hoping our dates overlap.

Elkhart Indiana
Destination Expert
for St. Croix
9. Re: How to find the lowest airfares to St. Croix

Now we can say THE TRIBE is ALL here ... hopefully we can get to meet some of the regulars that we haven't met yet and looking forward to seeing the rest of the gang.

Santa Monica, CA
Destination Expert
for Santa Monica
reviews: 157
10. Re: How to find the lowest airfares to St. Croix

Margy! You threw my theory right out the window. What a great fare!

Reply to: How to find the lowest airfares to St. Croix
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about St. Croix