We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is it worth it for a one-hour snorkeling in Buck Island?

Which St. Croix hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Atlanta, Georgia
Is it worth it for a one-hour snorkeling in Buck Island?

Hi,

I will stay in St John for 3 days during Thanks Giving. Thinking about whether to spend one day in St Croix for a Buck Island trip, or just stay in STT/STJ. I am sure the BI National Monument is nice, but all the logistics (going to the airport, flight, etc.) takes quite some time. And the snorkeling is just 1 hour. Instead, maybe I could just join a boat trip from STJ and snorkel from the boat. Is it worth all the trouble and time to go to STX? Thanks.

12 replies to this topic
New Britain...
reviews: 17
1. Re: Is it worth it for a one-hour snorkeling in Buck Island?

Simple answer, NO. It is not worth the travel time and expense for one day. An over night stay may make it worthwhile. I've done the reverse trip, STX to STT?STJ and an over night makes a big difference. The only time we did a successful one day trip to STT was to buy a specific item not availabe on STX.

Atlanta, Georgia
2. Re: Is it worth it for a one-hour snorkeling in Buck Island?

Bassman, thanks for your reply. I do plan to stay overnight in STX, but it doesn't seem there's much time left to do anything after the Buck Island trip...

Santa Monica, CA
Destination Expert
for Santa Monica
reviews: 159
3. Re: Is it worth it for a one-hour snorkeling in Buck Island?

I really like St. Croix, but haven't been to Buck Island. I think this year we will go, but still not sold. We are long-time snorkelers and I don't like to pay for excursions unless I know they will be top-notch. Frankly, because of the damage to the reef from past hurricanes, I'm still not convinced that experienced snorkelers will enjoy their short time in the water. I asked the same question as you when I was first planning my trip to St. Croix in 2011. Since then, I've seen plenty of you-tube videos that show a very pretty snorkel trail, but then I read how some boats require you to wear bulky life jackets that people complain are uncomfortable and weigh everything against the cost of the trip and usually opt to shore snorkel for free instead.

St. Croix is ringed by reef. There's great snorkeling from shore.

Are you planning to visit STX for a day anyway? If so, you will find plenty to do. Snorkel at Cane Bay beach, visit the jungle, snorkel near Rainbow Beach on the West side, visit the Cruzan rum distillary, and have a good meal at one of STX's excellent restaurants or beach bars.

Atlanta, Georgia
4. Re: Is it worth it for a one-hour snorkeling in Buck Island?

Plumeraid, thanks for your detailed reply. The biggest reason we wanted to go to St Croix is for the Buck Island Reef National Monument. This is the first time we visit the USVI (like 2011 for you). I wish we had more time. But with only 3 days, I am debating if I shouldn't be too greedy and focus on just STJ and just do an offshore snorkeling from there. I like what I read about St Croix and definitely want to spend more time in the future there.

CT
reviews: 2
5. Re: Is it worth it for a one-hour snorkeling in Buck Island?

3 days???

If you do the ferry/ flyboat thing you will use up a fair portion of the day, no to mention major $$$.

This is one option although some would say there are better snorkeling spots on STJ

tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g147411-d2…

south carolina
reviews: 2
6. Re: Is it worth it for a one-hour snorkeling in Buck Island?

Of all the islands I have been to, St. John has the best snorkeling off the beaches!!! Go to Trunk Bay, and then the other beaches too. I would not go to St. Croix just to do Buck Island. In fact, I will be in St. Croix next week, and I probably won't even go to Buck Island. It has been a few years since St. John, so I don't remember all the spots, but go on the St. John forum and research it. No need to take a boat trip there. Lots of good beaches with snorkeling!! I'd go back to St. John in a minute, but we like St. Croix for the ease of getting around.

Edited: 5:20 pm, October 28, 2013
Bourbon, IN
reviews: 43
7. Re: Is it worth it for a one-hour snorkeling in Buck Island?

You can easily spend a MONTH on St. John and still not snorkel every spot you'd like to. Buck Island is neat if you're already on St. Croix, but shouldn't be your reason for going there. Have fun on St. John and forget about STT or STX this trip.

Santa Monica, CA
Destination Expert
for Santa Monica
reviews: 159
8. Re: Is it worth it for a one-hour snorkeling in Buck Island?

The good news is that, from Atlanta, you have better flights and tend to have better airfare to the USVIs than we do from the west coast. Perhaps a trip to STX is in your future! One thing I noticed, lots of beachfront condos at, to me, very reasonable rental prices. I'd like to visit STJ someday, but when I start a search online, I get serious sticker shock!

Edited: 11:14 pm, October 28, 2013
Boston
reviews: 17
9. Re: Is it worth it for a one-hour snorkeling in Buck Island?

I love St Croix, but you are only there for 3 days so I would not even consider doing that. Just enjoy STJ as there is more than enough great snorkeling there to keep you busy. Also, there is better snorkeling on STX than Buck Island.

Atlanta, Georgia
10. Re: Is it worth it for a one-hour snorkeling in Buck Island?

Thanks, everybody, for your reply!! Really appreciate your help. So the consensus is it's not really worth it. I think I will stay in STJ and maybe take a boat tour for snorkeling in one of the days. This is my first time to go. And already thinking about a future trip to St Croix.

Reply to: Is it worth it for a one-hour snorkeling in Buck Island?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted