We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Please help me decide where to stay

Maryland
Level Contributor
326 posts
10 reviews
Please help me decide where to stay

We have finally decided to visit St Croix for the first time in January. I had almost decided on the Palms because of the reviews, description, and location. However, I keep looking back at the Buccaneer. It is quite a bit more for a great house ocean view room (one of the least expensive rooms) in the Buccaneer compared to a deluxe ocean front at the Palms. It the extra expense worth it for this hotel and beach? We plan to rent a car and hope to relax at a nice beach, snorkle or dive, and tour the island. I know the resorts are quite different but would appreciate any advice or thoughts because I need to make a decision soon.

Thanks, Karen

St. Croix
Destination Expert
for St. Croix
Level Contributor
1,708 posts
84 reviews
1. Re: Please help me decide where to stay

Both places are nice. The Buc is definitely more upscale; a real resort with golf, tennis, several restaurants, service on the beach, etc. The Palms is very laid back with few amenities. Snorkeling is good at both places but the water is usually calmer at the Buc.

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
167 posts
1 review
2. Re: Please help me decide where to stay

We have stayed at both places. You really can't go wrong at either place -- just depends what you want out of the place you are staying. The Buck -- over the years -- has been considered one of the top places to stay in the Caribbean. Even Bill O'Reilly from Fox News stays there! It is a full service, beautiful resort. It is friendly, but just a tad up-a-tee for my vibe. And you pay for it.

The Palms is very much more laid back. While I consider the Buck 5 star, the Palms is probably closer to being 4 stars. The owner of the Palms - Chuck - is a snorkeling God, and if you are in to snorkeling, he will take you out on his reef day AND night for unforgettable snorkels. Food is great at both places.

When we first started going to St Croix years ago, we always stayed at resorts on the island. Now we are in a mode of staying either with friends or at bed/breakfast places on the island for $150.00 per night. During the day, we hop in the car and go beach to beach, restaurant to restaurant, until we can go no more! This way, we get the best from the island and our cash goes a long, long way.

Whatever you decide, you are in for the time of your life. Enjoy !!!

Maryland
Level Contributor
326 posts
10 reviews
3. Re: Please help me decide where to stay

Thanks so much for the information. Two last questions (about hotels anyway) - Is there still yoga on the beach at the Palms and can one take a tennis lesson at the Buccaneer if you are not staying there? I would love to join a yoga class on the beach but my husband plays tennis and would like to be able to take a lesson while on vacation.

Thanks.

St. Croix
Destination Expert
for St. Croix
Level Contributor
1,708 posts
84 reviews
4. Re: Please help me decide where to stay

not sure about the yoga but yes, anyone can play tennis and take a lesson at the Buc - all it takes is $. The courts are open to the public.

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
167 posts
1 review
5. Re: Please help me decide where to stay

There is yoga at the Palms for sure. Not sure about Buck.

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
37 posts
43 reviews
6. Re: Please help me decide where to stay

We stayed at Buc 7 years ago and are very non resort people. We liked the privacy of the rooms, stayed in main hotel but I would splurge and stay beachside next time ( next week!)

Very laid back...if you want more upscale you can do that. It's close to town and very spread out.

I like the looks of the Palm, would consider that for sure!

Maryland
Level Contributor
326 posts
10 reviews
7. Re: Please help me decide where to stay

Well - it was a very hard decision but we (I) chose the Palms. We generally stay someplace that my husband can play tennis but this time the yoga on the beach at the Palms won me over. Since he can always go to the Buc for tennis, we both win.

This is our first trip to St Croix and we plan to tour the island and check out many areas/places to stay in case we return.

Thanks everyone for your help.

Santa Monica, CA
Destination Expert
for Santa Monica
Level Contributor
10,757 posts
196 reviews
8. Re: Please help me decide where to stay

You will enjoy day trips to the Buc, Tamarind Reef, Carambola, and others, too. St. Croix is a great island to explore - we would go out every morning for a hike, snorkel, botanical garden, rum factory tour, shopping, or just a nice scenic drive, have lunch out, find a beach for reading and sleeping (or return to the accom. for that), then out for happy hour and dinner. Repeat daily!

We stayed at Pelican Cove Condos near the Palms (take a walk there, it's a lovely complex and I felt their rates were very fair, especially for condos with a/c). The area is good for exploring all parts of the island, but dinners out at Cane Bay can be a bit stressful because the roads are very dark at night. I'd recommend brunches or lunch there so you can enjoy the good restaurants but not have to travel those dark roads at night! However, it may not bother you; I live in a city and it just doesn't get that dark here, so I'm not used to it!

Elkhart Indiana
Destination Expert
for St. Croix
Level Contributor
1,167 posts
9. Re: Please help me decide where to stay

There are tennis courts at the Palms. Have a great time and enjoy a beautiful area and island

St Croix
Level Contributor
210 posts
2 reviews
10. Re: Please help me decide where to stay

Yoga at 8 Am on Staurdays; Qi Gong/meditation at 9am.

Get answers to your questions about St. Croix