We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New Book on St Croix Snorkeling!

Which St. Croix hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Tampa, Florida
New Book on St Croix Snorkeling!

A new book on snorkeling St Croix has just been published. It is called "The St Croix Snorkeling Guide" and it is available on Amazon. I bought a copy of it, received it last week, and here are my thoughts.

First of all, it is about time somebody did this. The book illustrates in a big way why St Croix should be considered as one of the top snorkeling destinations in the Caribbean. The book features 5 of the best snorkeling beaches on St Croix -- Cane Bay, Sand Castle, Frederiksted Pier, Tamarind Reef, and Buck Island. From my experience, all 5 beaches are safe, easy to find, and have parking and snorkeling equipment for rent.

If you are looking for an analytical snorkeling textbook with GPS settings and depth chart maps and a lot of technical mumbo jumbo, this ain't it. Instead, the book is a casual, intimate, beautifully visual guide to snorkeling on the island. The book contains over 100 color photographs that show the distinctive underwater environments of the featured beaches. This isn't the type of book that you throw in the back seat of the car and head to the beach with. Instead, it is a coffee table type picture book that is printed on high gloss paper.

The last section of the book is a dining guide of the authors' 10 favorite St Croix restaurants -- complete with about 40 photos of the food featured at each restaurant ( YUM!! ).

I have snorkeled all 5 beaches reviewed in the book. The book accurately portrays the individual beauty of each beach and its own unique underwater environment. I love having the book as a visual memory of my snorkeling experiences on St Croix and the photographs are colorful and beautiful. This would be a good book for a cruise ship passenger or visitor to St Croix to look at to help them decide where to snorkel and eat with the time they have. With the great article about St Croix in USA TODAY this week and now this snorkeling book, I hope more positive things about St Croix are on the way!

18 replies to this topic
Santa Monica, CA
Destination Expert
for Santa Monica
reviews: 173
1. Re: New Book on St Croix Snorkeling!

This is great news, thanks for the info; just added to my Amazon order. I wish more people knew what a great place St. Croix is. I look for other Caribbean destinations to match it. Good food, rum, beaches, compared to other Caribbean destinations, a bargain, too. Yet, part of me wants to keep it the way it is! (edited to remove way too many exclamation marks).

Edited: 7:16 pm, October 16, 2013
St. Croix
Destination Expert
for St. Croix
reviews: 77
2. Re: New Book on St Croix Snorkeling!

It sounds like a great book but from your description, I do not agree with the author's choices.

Tampa, Florida
3. Re: New Book on St Croix Snorkeling!

Hey Crabgroupie, I agree with your post -- I personally love Jacks/Isaac's, and the back side of Green Cay. The authors picked "Five of the best" - in their opinion- to feature, and from experience and looking at the photos, its hard to be too critical of their choices. Hopefully, a second edition will be coming with addition beaches. The authors include their email address in the book's introduction, and I have already sent them some ideas!

St. Croix
Destination Expert
for St. Croix
4. Re: New Book on St Croix Snorkeling!

My 3 favorites are Shoys, just north of Rainbow, and just south of the condos that are south of Cottages. I keep finding new places all the time.

Grafton, North...
5. Re: New Book on St Croix Snorkeling!

I viewed the book, or part of it, on Amazon after reading your review. I never seem to get underwater photos to turn out and it's difficult to explain to my friends what I really saw when snorkeling. I am planning a trip in Feb to St Croix and am thinking of buying the book and hopefully will be able to say that I saw that fish!!

monic

St. Croix
Destination Expert
for St. Croix
6. Re: New Book on St Croix Snorkeling!

I may have to spend the 20 plus dollars to get the book. I would like to write the author about all the fantastic places to snorkel that are as good or better than his choices.

407 area code
reviews: 1
7. Re: New Book on St Croix Snorkeling!

Per the book's introduction, it is what they believe are five of the best snorkeling beaches. Not neceessarily the best snorkeling spots.

Edited: 7:52 am, October 18, 2013
St. Croix
Destination Expert
for St. Croix
8. Re: New Book on St Croix Snorkeling!

I understand that and my 3 favorite snorkeling places are located on the best beaches on the island

Santa Monica, CA
Destination Expert
for Santa Monica
reviews: 173
9. Re: New Book on St Croix Snorkeling!

crabgroupie: It might be a blessing that they didn't reveal your favorites! It is so easy for visitors to damage reefs simply by not understanding how fragile they are.

St. Croix
Destination Expert
for St. Croix
10. Re: New Book on St Croix Snorkeling!

very true

Reply to: New Book on St Croix Snorkeling!
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted