We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Buck Island or East End Marine Park

Clarks Summit,Pa
Destination Expert
for St. Croix
Level Contributor
788 posts
Buck Island or East End Marine Park

Well.... Going to be on island at the end of the month and am considering either another trip to BI or perhaps doing a 1/2 day sail boat charter. I always enjoy BI but I'm wondering if the snorkeling in the East End park compares to BI. The last 3 times at BI we've seen sharks and of course the other types of fish and had a fine old time. If the snorkeling in the EEP is roughly the same as you find at Cane Bay or the Carambola then I'd probably opt for BI again. There will be 4 adults of which 2 of us are avid snorkelers and the other 2 could probably care less. The "other" 2 would be my wife and daughter in law who are happy to just take a boat ride, which you obviously get with either choice that I make. It would be less expense to go to BI than the charter but I'm willing to pay the extra $ for a good experience.... Also while I'm at it is Sandy Point open from 10/25 thru 11/1?

St. Croix
Destination Expert
for St. Croix
Level Contributor
1,719 posts
85 reviews
1. Re: Buck Island or East End Marine Park

Buck Island is open at this time but don't know what will happen in the future. National Parks are CLOSED due to govt shutdown. Try snorkeling at some of the west end spots (no boat required); it's fabulous. I have not done a trip in the EEMP so can't give you feed back on that but something new is always fun. Snorkeling around Green Cay is excellent - again, no boat required.

Tulsa, OK
Level Contributor
51 posts
2. Re: Buck Island or East End Marine Park

I have been to Buck Island several times and took 1 trip into the EEMP with Capt. Dee of Bilinda Cruises about 4 years ago. We took the 1/2 day trip and went to Teague Bay, just inside the reef. I wasn't disappointed with the snorkeling there but I also don't remember it being outstanding. We saw a variety of sea critters but not the impressive coral and sea fans like you see at Buck. I suspect it might depend where you go in the EEMP and you might want to discuss your expectations with your charter operator before committing. Capt. Dee's cruises are as much about the sailing as the snorkeling and we enjoyed the trip immensely. I thought it was a great alternative and if you've already been to BI multiple times, would recommend you give it a try.

3. Re: Buck Island or East End Marine Park

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:19 am, October 06, 2014
Get answers to your questions about St. Croix