We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

where to stay?

reviews: 1
where to stay?

cant decide between palms at the pelican cove,Tamarind Reef Resort,Hibiscus Beach Resort. any suggestions?

Santa Monica, CA
Destination Expert
for Santa Monica
reviews: 177
1. Re: where to stay?

Welcome to TripAdvisor and the St. Croix forum, Appiness.

I've stayed at Pelican Cove condos (2011) and loved it. The Palms is just up the beach where we walked to snorkel. The location is nice. It's been 2 years since I've eaten at their restaurant for Sunday brunch. I was not impressed, but see reviews are more consistently positive, so you should have no issues.

I visited Tamarind Reef and loved their beach and snorkeling, too. If I wanted to stay in a hotel, I would be interested in it. I liked the location and proximity to Christensted (restaurants). The beach is sandy with chairs and umbrellas (we were charged $10/day for 2 chairs and umbrella, but we were not staying there). Large, grassy area off the beach with several large iguanas. Entry to the water is via one channel (lots of coral), but once in, you snorkel along a channel where there are floats (excellent if you need to clear your mask; just hold the float and fix equip). The rooms were right on the water, but as stated, the coral comes right to shore, so water entry is not perfect. The views from the property are gorgeous!

Hibiscus: No knowledge.

Have you considered renting a condo? There are many on island, are reasonably priced, and the benefit of a kitchen and washer/dryer can't be beat. As I mentioned, Pelican Cove Condos are very nice. I also recently looked at several at Gentle Winds, on the North Shore, which is a lovely area, too.

Elkhart Indiana
Destination Expert
for St. Croix
2. Re: where to stay?

I am biased but there are so many great options on St. Croix! We are Pelican Cove people ... we have stayed there 3 different years and loved everything about it. Beach is a sitting and limin' beach but a 5 minute stroll takes you down to The Palms and there is swimming and snorkeling and a great beach. We have eaten brunch on Sunday all 3 years and while it is nothing out of the ordinary it is a great brunch while listening to steel drums. The Palms has Caribbean night on Mondays with Moko Jumbies and Kiki and the fire dancers .. and that is just their Monday night entertainment .. a 5 minute walk from Pelican Cove. Also Pelican Cove has a great pool and Jacuzzi ... there are a lot of very very nice villas if you prefer a gorgous view over the gentle sounds of the ocean ... if you prefer the west end look at Cottages by the Sea ... for downtown Christiansted take a look at Hotel on cay .. or if you love living in a beautiful setting, restaurant, golf course check out The Buccaneer

St. Croix
Destination Expert
for St. Croix
reviews: 77
3. Re: where to stay?

The Palms and TR are both great. Hibiscus needs a bit of sprucing up. Cottages is a great casual place on an awesome beach. Any one of these 3 would be a good place to stay. Also Gentle Winds is a really nice condo complex on the beach.

New Britain...
reviews: 19
4. Re: where to stay?

The Hibiscus is just OK. It's just a hotel room, no kitchen, very small fridg. The restaurant is nothing to write home about.. If you really want to get into the water you have to walk down to the Palms. There's just too much rock(coral?) to be able to swim in front of the Hibiscus.

Bourbon, IN
reviews: 43
5. Re: where to stay?

Another vote for the Palms! We went in June and it was AMAZING! You will not regret staying there!

reviews: 1
6. Re: where to stay?

ok thanks for all the help. the palms it is.

Clarks Summit,Pa
Destination Expert
for St. Croix
7. Re: where to stay?

Don't know what your dates are but we just booked another trip to The Buccaneer for the end of Oct. Very good rates to be found on some of the major travel sites...Don't dismiss The Buccaneer as being too pricey until you actually do the homework. Even if it comes in a bit higher than the others that you're considering, I do not believe you'd regret spending a few extra dollars. It is a fabulous place....I should know, because I think this will be our 20th visit.....

St. Croix
reviews: 6
8. Re: where to stay?

If you can afford Gentle Winds, there really is no other choice. The condos at Gentle Winds sell for twice what they do at Pelican Cove...that should tell you something!

Arkansas
9. Re: where to stay?

It's not on your list but cottages by the sea is wonderful and affordable. Rooms are right on the beach.

10. Re: where to stay?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, August 13, 2014