We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

new to St Croix trust trip advisor

Which St. Croix hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Dallas, Texas
reviews: 1
new to St Croix trust trip advisor

ok so the wench and I are normally on the Cozumel or Florida forums.

We are traveling with family this october with a child. We cant secure a passport for her, long story

so while we normally go to Coz 3 times a year we have to switch it up

we can go house, condo or hotel

needs to be very near if not on the beach safe for a 3 year old

we are divers so that is a consideration

we will most likely rent a car

not big on touristy things.

Ladies will want to shop

Since I will be the only guy with my wife and her two daughters, and one cute granddaughter alcohol will be required

Any hotel and or general traveling tips would be greatly appreciated, this will be the girls first Caribbean proper trip. I have been to St Kits before

Edited: 3:44 pm, July 05, 2013
Elkhart Indiana
Destination Expert
for St. Croix
1. Re: new to St Croix trust trip advisor

Okay there is so much to do on St. Croix and none of it is really like any of the places you mentioned ... St. Croix is a very laid back island ... The Buccaneer is a great family place to stay with a great beach ... we always stay at Pelican Cove which is next to The Palms ... Pelican Cove is condos and while the beach in front doesn't offer swimming in 5 minutes you can be in front of The Palms with great snorkeling and swimming ... both offer great pools ... Pelican Cove has a hot tub. Hotel on the Cay has a great beach and is unique with being an island within an island and is a 5 minute ferry ride from downtown Christiansted. Margy Z can fill you in on Villas ... CCrosener can tell you about the Buccaneer ... we are condo people and stay at Pelican Cove. Glad you are renting a car. Also Fredricsted offers Cottage by the Sea and is a cute little town and very active on cruise ship days ... also the coastline is full of beach bars. TanTan Tours can give you a guided tour of the entire island .... including the Beer Drinking Pigs .... Big Beards is a great way to see the island via the water ... including the awesome Buck Island. If you can be a little more specific about your likes and dislikes I thing the experts can jump right in with some great suggestions. P.

S. for the shopping experience downtown Christiansted is awesome and Fredericksted is the place to be especially on cruise ship days to see all that the local artesans offer!

Happy Planning!

Groves, Texas
2. Re: new to St Croix trust trip advisor

I'd think the Buccaneer would be the best place for a three year old. The beach is clean with gentle waves and they have a children friendly staff. Tamarind Reef would be another recommendation,too. It has a nice beach with a shallowish area from the sand to the reef where a 3 yr old could safely play. Nice pool and restaurant. These places are both on the east end of the island. If staying out west I'd think Cottages by the Sea would be a good place to stay. Very calm water in that area and lots of sand. Several people on this site stay at Gentle Winds on the north shore and love it. It has a good beach and large swimming pool. All three places seem popular with families. Good luck with the planning :)

Paula

Edited: 10:57 pm, July 05, 2013
boston
Destination Expert
for Christiansted
reviews: 71
3. Re: new to St Croix trust trip advisor

You almost lost me at "wench"....but I'll keep an open mind since you are a TA fan (and so am I).

The Buccaneer is great but if you are going to do a lot of diving, you might want to place yourself on the North Shore (which is about a 30 minute drive from the Buccaneer). Gentle Winds would be closest but Pelican Cove would work as well. And you might want to check out Carambola though I don't think their beach would be great for a 3 year old (based on what others here have said).

You might also consider a villa rental (check out vacationstcroix.com).

St. Croix is much less developed than Cozumel but it's got a great laid back vibe and only an occasional cruise ship in port.

St. Croix
Destination Expert
for St. Croix
reviews: 77
4. Re: new to St Croix trust trip advisor

I agree with stcroix - The 4 places mentioned are all great.

Gardnerville, Nevada
reviews: 15
5. Re: new to St Croix trust trip advisor

As an owner at Gentle Winds getting ready for my sixth trip down, I always like to put in a good word for Gentle Winds as not only does it have the beach, pool, snack shack (with bar), it is next door to Salt River Marina where boats go out on a daily basis for diving. I understand that the many walls of the bay are very good for diving. I know that it seems that there is always a dive boat anchored off shore from Gentle Winds and many of the units at Gentle Winds have attached rooms for storing diving gear.

St. Croix
reviews: 33
6. Re: new to St Croix trust trip advisor

For the combination of beach (safe for a 3 y/o), shopping, and diving you might want to consider Hotel on the Cay. It's on on its own little island in Christiansted harbor. The water just off of their beach is almost always flat calm as Long Reef (the barrier reef that protects Christiansted Harbor) breaks up any waves. A 40 second or so ferry ride puts you right on the Boardwalk for shopping/dining/adult beverages. And there's two dive shops (including ours) whose boat leave right from the Boardwalk and dive the famous walls and reefs that surround Christiansted.

Lancaster, PA
reviews: 30
7. Re: new to St Croix trust trip advisor

I've seen dive boats drop the divers off right at the HOTC

Dallas, Texas
8. Re: new to St Croix trust trip advisor

thanks everyone. My girl is fond of the term wench, as she labeled me her pirate

we are a bit strange but we enjoy life

looks like we will be doing Cozumel in October after all. But i thing the two of us just might hit St Croix this year anyway. Sounds like our kind of place

9. Re: new to St Croix trust trip advisor

You'll have a great time. An awesome diving experience awaits you at Cane Bay beach on the north shore of St. Croix and if it's "alcohol" you desire make a visit to our local rum factories (tours available). There's a special treat available at the beach bar in Cane Bay (right next to a dive shop by the way).......Boozie Fruit Ice pops (frozen rum punch!) will keep you "cool". Hooe you enjoy your stay!

10. Re: new to St Croix trust trip advisor

You'll have a great time. An awesome diving experience awaits you at Cane Bay beach on the north shore of St. Croix and if it's "alcohol" you desire make a visit to our local rum factories (tours available). There's a special treat available at the beach bar in Cane Bay (right next to a dive shop by the way).......Boozie Fruit Ice pops (frozen rum punch!) will keep you "cool". Hooe you enjoy your stay!