We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report June 18-25

Bourbon, IN
reviews: 43
Trip Report June 18-25

There were women on our 'leave the men and run' trip. Here are a few highlights...

Flight-

Took American from Chicago to PuertoRico then Seaborne from there to St. Croix. Very uneventful flights, yippee!!

Hotel-

Stayed at Palms at Pelican Cove. All I can say is WOW! The staff is unbelievable and the owner is very hands on. Beautiful rooms and grounds and I felt completely safe 100% of the time.

Car-

Rented a Yaris from Centerline. It's about the size of a go-cart but it got the job done, even for all four of us, plus luggage. We had an early morning flight out so they let us leave it in the airport parking lot and they got it from there... quite a bit different than O'Hare!!

Activities-

Taking a Tan Tan Tour was the highlight of our trip. We saw most of the island and I feel it's the ONLY safe way to get to the tide pools. Richie was a great driver. He was very informative, safe, and lots of fun. We had 3 swimming stops, numerous historical stops, and stopped to feed the pigs beer... Great fun!

Almost as neat as the TanTan tour was going out with Sea Thru Kayaks for the bioluminescence tour. WOW!! Two of us are teachers so the science nerds in us were loving it!! If you're doing the bio tour, sea thru kayaks are the best way to go. We saw another group in pedal kayaks and they were really missing out. Seeing it light up under and around you with he stars above you is amazing.

Stopping at the Cruzan Rum Factory was a must do for a rum enthusiast such as myself! It's a great place to stock up on Cruzan and have it boxed up to be check as luggage for free since it's $8 there and $19 here!! The boxing of the rum and checking it as luggage is free.

The four of us went out with Captain Carl on Terroro to Buck Island and had a great time. A lot of the coral is dead and colorless and there was a lot less sea life than I had hoped, but it was still really neat to see.

Snorkeling-

We didn't see much sealife at Buck Island. While snorkeling the wall at Cane Bay I saw my first eagle ray, amazing!! We spent most of our time snorkeling at the Palms. They have guides who quickly become your friend to take you out. The owner even took us out night snorkeling twice and we found and held an octopus each time. This was the first time I had snorkeled at night and was a bit terrified until I realized how awesome it was! Most of the predator sealife like octopus, lobsters, and eels are out and fairly easy to spot. I saw another eagle ray (yay) and lots of other neat fish I can't remember.

Food- Not only are none of us foodies, we barely care about food at all. We ate at RumRunners once and it was ok but mostly ate out hotel bar and had great food. Our TanTan tour stopped for sandwiches at a scary looking deli and they were amazing so we ordered sandwiches from there 3 more times throughout the week.

Safety-

I was beginning to worry after reading some of the recent posts that us 4 ladies would feel unsafe on St. Croix. Nope!! We felt 100% safe 100% of the time! I'm sure if we stayed out late things may had been different, but never once did we feel creeped out, even when I got lost and ended up in goverent housing. Everyone was kind, talkative, and willing to share their island knowledge with us. We asked our taxi driver, TanTan driver, and check out lady at the grocery store about crime being on the rise. They all basically said the same thing- it's slightly up, but only if you're a thug looking for drugs or don't use your common sense and end up as prey around the "wanna be gangsters". For those of us who have no interest in drugs or doing stupid things like walking around lost and drunk, we have nothing to worry about except what beach to go to next!

St. Croix
Destination Expert
for St. Croix
reviews: 77
1. Re: Trip Report June 18-25

Sounds like a great trip. Come back soon.

Boston
reviews: 18
2. Re: Trip Report June 18-25

Really glad you enjoyed your trip. Now you see what us St Croix lovers are talking about!

Bourbon, IN
3. Re: Trip Report June 18-25

3 of the 4 of us ladies regularly vacation on St. John and think it's about as perfect as you get. However, I've begun feeling there's a real lack of culture and has become an island of rich mainlanders. I was able to talk the other 3 in to a new adventure and am so glad I did. Of the 3 of us who usually go to St. John, one had fun but won't return because she likes how small St. John is and likes her routine of Woody's and Skinny Legs. The other two of us loved St. Croix and will return. While the two islands are close in proximity, we feel they have completely different things to offer so they cannot be compared fairly. Yes, things are farther away on St. Croix, but the roads are easier to navigate. We felt there are more 'adventures' on St. Croix but we have an easier time on St. John finding deserted beaches to relax on. We like snorkeling on St. John more but others liked St. Croix's better so maybe we simply had bad luck. The one lady with us was disgusted St. Croix has a Kmart and Menards, but we reminded her St. Croix is more of a working, middle class island than St. John and they need things like grocery and discount stores.

Our favorite thing about St. Croix is the people. Many are REAL people who live and work on island just like their parents and grandparents had.

Elkhart Indiana
Destination Expert
for St. Croix
4. Re: Trip Report June 18-25

So glad you had a great trip NeednSun! You truly felt the vibe of St. Croix and loved it for the very reasons that so many of us can't stop recommending St. Croix. I find your one friend a little funny but familiar ... we cruised for many years before settling on staying on an island and one couple we went with the husband said even though he had an okay time he would never ever go to an island again because the poverty depressed him (AND we have another couple where the husband refused to travel to an island because of the poverty) HELLO folks a lot of these people are very happy with what they have and aren't trying to keep up with their neighbors and before everyone jumps in and tells me that there is poverty on the island let it be said that I realize this but basically you can't miss what you have never had. I found shopping at KMart just right for my needs. Anyway hope you are already planning your next visit ... we are very familiar with the bar/'restaurant at the Palms as we have always stayed at Pelican Cove and are very content to dine with Mitch, and Jessie and Sheila and the other bartenders at The Palms :)

Nassau, New...
5. Re: Trip Report June 18-25

Enjoyed your TR - the bioluminescence tour sounds especially cool - thanks for posting!

Portersville...
reviews: 54
6. Re: Trip Report June 18-25

Ha Ha. That "scary deli" is Quality Market. I used to think it was scary too. It has the best sandwiches (other than Turtles Deli) and we eat there all the time. Only time I was freaked out was one time I need to used the bathroom really bad and they let me use theirs. It was very nice of them, but I don't recommend it. However they are super nice in there and the food is quick, cheap and delicious. Easy to get hooked on.

Bourbon, IN
7. Re: Trip Report June 18-25

Great to know its called Quality Deli, although it's not the prettiest to look at, the food is AWESOME and I would recommend it to anyone who wants great hot or cold sandwiches. We called ahead and ordered all 3 times since they seemed to be super popular. We didn't know the name and just called it the gas station without gas ;-) Their tuna sdw was they best we've ever had anywhere!

maryland
Destination Expert
for Baltimore
reviews: 11
8. Re: Trip Report June 18-25

The see thru kayaks are on my to do list for sure. Last year it was stand up paddle boarding which I loved once I got the hang of it!

Glad you had a great time!

9. Re: Trip Report June 18-25

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, July 09, 2014