We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Buck Island for the weak stomached

Which St. Croix hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Gaithersburg...
reviews: 210
Buck Island for the weak stomached

For the Buck Island veterans I'd like to know if the ride to the Island varies a lot based on which outfit you visit with or not? I ask because I have extreme vertigo issues and so I usually only take the tamest ferry rides. All that I've read though says that a trip to Buck Island is not to be missed. Should I turn on my nausea watch to the highest setting, suck down ginger ale and hope for the best or just say forget it? We arrive next week. Thanks for the feedback.

Clarks Summit,Pa
Destination Expert
for St. Croix
11. Re: Buck Island for the weak stomached

The advice about BI being crowded on the weekends is right on.... I personally do not like going to BI on the weekends anymore. I have nothing against "locals" but they flock to the beach on BI on the weekends and it almost looks like a marina out there. With that much congestion , you get a completely different feel than if you go during the week. You may have 1 or at the most 2 other boats out there on week days as opposed to maybe 6 to 8 boats of all different sizes on weekends. The beach itself gets crowded with picnicers too. To my knowledge only licensed operators are allowed into the snokeling area. I've been there when there are as many as 3 or 4 boats total in the snorkeling area but it's usually only 1 or 2 altogether. We always go in the off season and have never not been able to get to BI on the day that we choose...I do look for a day that is not an overcast one and hopefully not too windy. Sunny days and low winds make for much better snorkeling...

Groves, Texas
reviews: 1
12. Re: Buck Island for the weak stomached

You may want to wait until later in your trip to plan a visit out to B.I. for this week. There is a tropical disturbance passing over the islands today, should be gone tomorrow but may leave overcast skies and a little more activity in the water for a couple of days. Hopefully it will clear right up and you'll have a great trip :)

Paula

13. Re: Buck Island for the weak stomached

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, June 28, 2014