We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Buck Island for the weak stomached

Gaithersburg...
Level Contributor
428 posts
221 reviews
Buck Island for the weak stomached

For the Buck Island veterans I'd like to know if the ride to the Island varies a lot based on which outfit you visit with or not? I ask because I have extreme vertigo issues and so I usually only take the tamest ferry rides. All that I've read though says that a trip to Buck Island is not to be missed. Should I turn on my nausea watch to the highest setting, suck down ginger ale and hope for the best or just say forget it? We arrive next week. Thanks for the feedback.

Groves, Texas
Level Contributor
950 posts
2 reviews
1. Re: Buck Island for the weak stomached

I have the same problem and understand your concerns. The times I've been to Buck Island when I did not get seasick was on a trimaran or a catamaran. I had absolutely no problems at all. I think I'd suggest a company like Big Beards who have two 42' catamaran's. One time (and one time only!) I went over on a large glass bottomed boat. I was fine until they stopped over the reef to give non snorkelers a view.... I was told I turned every shade of green there was! The minute they told us we could get out of the boat and into the water I was back to normal. It was only in the rocking boat that I was so sick. One of Big Beards Catamaran's (The Renegade) has a glass viewing window--- if you go with this one I'd suggest looking out at the beauty of St Croix and not down ;) Good luck, Buck Island is not to be missed. By the way, I've never been the least bit sick snorkeling out there, it was only in the stopped boat with the glass bottom.

Paula

Gaithersburg...
Level Contributor
428 posts
221 reviews
2. Re: Buck Island for the weak stomached

Thanks Paula!

I'll see if I can convince DH that Buck Island is a must-do. While we're there we'll see if we can join a trip - it's only two of us. I have not-so-fond memories of being seasick on Grenada, Dominica, St Lucia, Barbados ... so I'll be white-knuckling it for sure!

Wheaton, Illinois
Destination Expert
for St. Croix
Level Contributor
1,597 posts
2 reviews
3. Re: Buck Island for the weak stomached

I would take Big Beard's power cat, The Adventurer. It's the fastest, smoothest ride to Buck Island. And, try some Bonine before you go. My husband has extreme sea-sickness (don't even ask about our time aboard The Roseway - not a pretty tale) and this works for him.

Good luck!!

Clarks Summit,Pa
Destination Expert
for St. Croix
Level Contributor
785 posts
4. Re: Buck Island for the weak stomached

Big Beard's boat the Advenure would probably be the way to go for you. Very stable and fast too.I've been to Buck Island many times over the years on everything from a small sailboat to the bigger catamarans. Big Beard supposedly had the Adventure built specifically for his BI business and it is a beautiful boat. Perhaps you can check the weather forecasts, good luck on this one, and hopefully schedule the trip for a day that may not be too windy...Buck Island is a great experience, so I say don't miss it...

Caribbean
Level Contributor
3 posts
4 reviews
5. Re: Buck Island for the weak stomached

I would take Big Beard's power cat Adventure. Smoothest ride to Buck with no fumes and a great crew.

Central Illinois
Level Contributor
3 posts
43 reviews
6. Re: Buck Island for the weak stomached

Thank you for your insights. travelinmomSTX Big help and much appreciated. The fumes make me as sick as the motion, so your detailed response was awesome.

Edited: 4:38 pm, June 24, 2013
Lancaster, PA
Level Contributor
390 posts
32 reviews
7. Re: Buck Island for the weak stomached

I would ask Big Beards what boat they will be using when you go out I recall him having a nice new boat, and an older, smaller, not so nice one he would use for the smaller crowds.

Wheaton, Illinois
Destination Expert
for St. Croix
Level Contributor
1,597 posts
2 reviews
8. Re: Buck Island for the weak stomached

I think that Big Bird uses the Adventure on the 1/2 day excursion because it gets out to BI faster, but be sure to check, as PA says.

Gaithersburg...
Level Contributor
428 posts
221 reviews
9. Re: Buck Island for the weak stomached

Will do! Fingers crossed the weather cooperates. I agree a windy day would not be a good choice.

Which day of the week is more "active" AKA lively to head to Buck Island?

Thanks.

407 area code
Level Contributor
208 posts
1 review
10. Re: Buck Island for the weak stomached

Weekends are usually more "crowded" with locals on Buck Island.

Get answers to your questions about St. Croix