We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Weekly Carambola Pirate/Moko Jumbie Dinner - is it worth it?

Gaithersburg...
Level Contributor
428 posts
221 reviews
Weekly Carambola Pirate/Moko Jumbie Dinner - is it worth it?

Is the weekly Pirate's buffet dinner and Moko Jumbie show at Renaissance Carambola worth it? Are there other similar dinners at other hotels? We're staying at the Buccaneer and we understand it's about 25 minutes away from the hotel. Is the route to Carambola well lit and hotel easy-to-find? We will have a rental car but are willing to get a taxi to/from if the route is challenging. Thanks for the responses.

Groves, Texas
Level Contributor
950 posts
2 reviews
1. Re: Weekly Carambola Pirate/Moko Jumbie Dinner - is it worth it?

It was very nice several yrs back when we went, but I can't speak for the last couple of yrs. Large buffet meal with mocko jumbie's and a band playing for entertainment. I love the setting out at Carambola at night. We were staying out east and I found the roads from Carambola back to Centerline made me a little carsick, but I get carsick very easily at night (and in the backseat). This May while having lunch at Carambola I asked the waitress if they still had the Pirates Night and she said they do.

The Palms at Pelican Cove and the Divi Carina also have these nights. You might want to check to make sure they aren't on off season hours, though, and that they are having them right now. The Palms puts on a big show with Kiki and the Flaming Gypsies,too. (or so I've heard, I haven't been to theirs----yet!)

Paula

boston
Destination Expert
for Christiansted
Level Contributor
2,204 posts
104 reviews
2. Re: Weekly Carambola Pirate/Moko Jumbie Dinner - is it worth it?

If you are staying at the Buccaneer (which you mention you are on another thread), you can see Moko Jumbies at the managers reception on Tuesday night (which also features free hors d'ouevres and wine and rum punch. I have never gone to one of the shows (isn't there one at Hotel on the Cay) and wuold rather spend mymoney on great food at a better restaurant. But that's just me :)

St. Croix
Destination Expert
for St. Croix
Level Contributor
1,702 posts
84 reviews
3. Re: Weekly Carambola Pirate/Moko Jumbie Dinner - is it worth it?

Carambola is lovely but it is a long trip on curvy roads - more that half an hour. There is a very nice show at the Palms on Monday nights. There is also a smaller show at Hotel on the Cay on Tuesdays which is nice because you are on the beach looking at the town of Christiansted..

Elkhart Indiana
Destination Expert
for St. Croix
Level Contributor
1,165 posts
4. Re: Weekly Carambola Pirate/Moko Jumbie Dinner - is it worth it?

I agree about the roads at night from Carambola ... we go at a slow pace back from there during the day so I can only imagine traveling it in the dark. We are fans of The Palms' Caribbean Night on Mondays ... nice buffet etc. and the Moko's and Kiki and the FireDancers are not to be missed. If you don't want to eat there you can always have a drink or 3 and still watch the entertainment. The Palms is about 15 minutes from Christiansted .

Portersville...
Level Contributor
98 posts
67 reviews
5. Re: Weekly Carambola Pirate/Moko Jumbie Dinner - is it worth it?

From the Buccaneer to the Carambola is a dark winding road I would not recommend if you get car sick. I'd try it in the daylight first. The buffets has went down hill in quantity and quality over the years. If you don't know what it used to be like, you may still enjoy it. With that said, my son's wedding reception was in a private area of the dining room for the buffet last year. He always loved it and that is what he wanted. It was any easy reception that had food, dancing and a good time. All I had to do was pay!!

6. Re: Weekly Carambola Pirate/Moko Jumbie Dinner - is it worth it?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, July 04, 2014
Get answers to your questions about St. Croix