We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cheap (cheaper) Eats in STX

Gaithersburg...
reviews: 210
Cheap (cheaper) Eats in STX

DH and I arrive in STX next week and when we travel we prefer to patronize local (less fancy) restaurants. From reading prior posts it looks like some take-out favorites are:

• No Bones in Gallows Bay--great food and fair pricing

• Singhs, Harvey's and Kims in Christiansted, Good Spirits

• Quality Grocery and Deli in Princesse, and the Chicken Shack in LaReine

• For a quick bite on the boardwalk, you can't beat the Avacado Pit.

• Ziggy's Market

• Brady's

• Chocolate's

• Roti Shack

Restaurants -- Deep End, Off-the-Wall, Golden Rail, Angry Nates, Brew Pub, Rum Runners, Tavern 1844, Savant, Kendrick's, TuTu Bene, Duggan's, Blue Water Terrace...

Are there any others not mentioned above? We'll be staying at the Buccaneer for the first part of our trip and Divi at the end.

Also, I'm a pastry-a-holic and have noticed that Pastry Hut and a little bakery across from Singh's Roti have been mentioned several times. Are they still in business? Are there any other new bakeries that have sprouted up?

Thanks for your responses.

Groves, Texas
reviews: 1
11. Re: Cheap (cheaper) Eats in STX

Have a great trip Trinigirl!

Paula

New Britain...
reviews: 19
12. Re: Cheap (cheaper) Eats in STX

The ice cream place on the left on Centerline going to F'sted is Armstrong's. Best ice cream on the island.

More pasteries are available at Centerline Bakery, east of K-Mart west.

Edited: 3:51 pm, June 27, 2013
maryland
Destination Expert
for Baltimore
reviews: 11
13. Re: Cheap (cheaper) Eats in STX

A couple other places are the Luncheria and Bombey Club.

Gaithersburg...
reviews: 210
14. Re: Cheap (cheaper) Eats in STX

Well, we ended up only trying a couple places -- to the list we need to add China Jade restaurant in Sunny Isles shopping center. The food was fresh and tasty and inexpensive. We also had the Backlava ice cream at Pickled Greek (I am lactose intolerant but had no problems). Was not impressed with Rum Runners (very bland) and never found Singh's - despite driving and walking up their street two times. Loved Kim's (not impressive on the outside but the food was great and home made). The pastry at the Pastry Hut was divine. We ran into it as we were heading to Wym and the Botanical Gardens. Thanks for the advice everyone.

Edited: 10:46 am, July 07, 2013
Austin, Texas
reviews: 30
15. Re: Cheap (cheaper) Eats in STX

Don't forget Saturday night at Cheeseburgers in America's Paradise. Captain Lewellyn Westerman sings for a no cover show. The last trip we made I ordered their pulled pork sandwich and it was awesome. I am not a big burger fan. I like the other options on thier menu. I thought the potato salad was excellant. It was very reasonable priced. The live music from my favorite sailor on the island is a plus.

Edited: 11:38 am, July 13, 2013
reviews: 1
16. Re: Cheap (cheaper) Eats in STX

Correct me if I'm wrong but we ate subs and chicken at the Pastry Hut. Their donuts are awesome! The also serve Johnny cakes and have great fresh bread.

17. Re: Cheap (cheaper) Eats in STX

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, July 17, 2014