We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cheap (cheaper) Eats in STX

Which St. Croix hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Gaithersburg...
reviews: 210
Cheap (cheaper) Eats in STX

DH and I arrive in STX next week and when we travel we prefer to patronize local (less fancy) restaurants. From reading prior posts it looks like some take-out favorites are:

• No Bones in Gallows Bay--great food and fair pricing

• Singhs, Harvey's and Kims in Christiansted, Good Spirits

• Quality Grocery and Deli in Princesse, and the Chicken Shack in LaReine

• For a quick bite on the boardwalk, you can't beat the Avacado Pit.

• Ziggy's Market

• Brady's

• Chocolate's

• Roti Shack

Restaurants -- Deep End, Off-the-Wall, Golden Rail, Angry Nates, Brew Pub, Rum Runners, Tavern 1844, Savant, Kendrick's, TuTu Bene, Duggan's, Blue Water Terrace...

Are there any others not mentioned above? We'll be staying at the Buccaneer for the first part of our trip and Divi at the end.

Also, I'm a pastry-a-holic and have noticed that Pastry Hut and a little bakery across from Singh's Roti have been mentioned several times. Are they still in business? Are there any other new bakeries that have sprouted up?

Thanks for your responses.

Groves, Texas
reviews: 1
1. Re: Cheap (cheaper) Eats in STX

I've read negative reviews about Chocolate's.... I got the idea it may be more of a local place. If you are on the west end make sure you give Turtles Deli a chance (www.turtlesdeli.com check this out, cute website) They have huge hot or cold sandwiches that you could easily share.

Paula

Boston
reviews: 17
2. Re: Cheap (cheaper) Eats in STX

I second Turtle's Deli. Also there is a restaurant that is called Bombay in C'sted that has good food and is not too expensive. Pastry Hut is great, highly recommended - it is on the way to F'sted past the Kmart on the right.

Gardnerville, Nevada
reviews: 19
3. Re: Cheap (cheaper) Eats in STX

I just love the sea food pizza at Napolean's across the street from Cost U Less near Sunny Isles in the center of the island. It is piled high with huge shrimp. The dish ranges from good to heavenly depending on how freshly out of the oven it is. One piece is enough for a meal. The restaurant is just a plain hole in the wall type place but we never miss it. Also the ice cream at the ice cream shop on the left going to Fredricksted is really delish.

St. Croix
Destination Expert
for St. Croix
reviews: 78
4. Re: Cheap (cheaper) Eats in STX

Most of the places you mentioned at the end under "restaurants" are not cheap. Off the Wall, Brew Pub, and Deep End are very reasonable. Breezez is fairly reasonable also and has a killer Sunday Brunch (avil skivvers are yummy). Good Spirits has great food and is a bargain.

Edited: 7:00 am, June 23, 2013
Elkhart Indiana
Destination Expert
for St. Croix
5. Re: Cheap (cheaper) Eats in STX

Should you still have room for dessert after eating at all of these places Rowdy Joe's (on the West End) has some pretty fantastic ice cream as doe The Pickled Greek on the East end. Otherwise I wish you luck on trying all of these places ... we have been going for 3 years now (the last 2 of which have been for 2 weeks) and we still have more on our list of "must try" than "have tired" .... Bon Appetite

Wheaton, Illinois
Destination Expert
for St. Croix
reviews: 2
6. Re: Cheap (cheaper) Eats in STX

Not sure I'd file "No Bones" under "take-out" but they do have really good reasonable eats and icy a/c. Add Maria's Cantina in Gallows Bay for $2.00 Taco Tuesday specials and watch The St. Croix Lime online for a calendar of restaurant specials: .http://www.virginislandslime.com/stcroixlime/st-croix-news-events-calendar

Most of the restaurants on STX have Facebook fan pages. If you are on FB, "like" them to keep up with their daily specials.

Have a great time!

Christiansted, St...
reviews: 2
7. Re: Cheap (cheaper) Eats in STX

In Frederiksted Pier 69 has a really good breakfast very reasonable, they also offer daily specials which are a treat. Jodi and Dennis will make you feel right at home

Lexington, Kentucky
reviews: 31
8. Re: Cheap (cheaper) Eats in STX

If you have a sweet tooth the Pastry Hut on Centerline Rd. in Fredriksted is a good stop for you. Delicious Apple fritters and coconut donuts. Fresh bread is good as well. Get there early for these delights.

As Sunshine mentioned the seafood/shrimp pizza at Napolean's was very good...and they are not skimpy portions for such reasonable prices.

Believe they still have a location in F'sted (hope so). Kind of a dive looking place, but oh so good : )

New Hampshire
reviews: 3
9. Re: Cheap (cheaper) Eats in STX

We had the best fish tacos at Rowdy Joe's. highly recommend you go there.

Gaithersburg...
reviews: 210
10. Re: Cheap (cheaper) Eats in STX

Thanks all, can't wait to try them. One more sleep and we're there!

BTW, those of you on-island feel free to say "hi" to a short, brown woman (who's always smiling) walking around looking lost with a tall, dark man (who rarely does ;-) That will be us.