We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Landing Tomorrow!

Which St. Croix hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Bourbon, IN
reviews: 43
Landing Tomorrow!

After a few trips to St. John, I've decided to give St. Croix a try and tomorrow is the day I've been waiting for! Our only plan is stay at the Palms at Pelican Cove and going on a Tan Tan tour. My favorite thing to do on Earth is snorkel. Anyone have any great snorkel spots or other 'must sees' or 'must do's'? Also, is snorkeling at Buck Island worth it or is it more for cruise tourists like Trunk Bay is for St. John? Thanks!!

Elkhart Indiana
Destination Expert
for St. Croix
1. Re: Landing Tomorrow!

We have been to St. Croix the last 3 years and I don't think you will regret your decision. We also have stayed at Pelican Cove. We have been to Buck Island with Capt. Llewyellen and it was great. Big Beard goes there and takes a large group of people where Capt. Llew only takes 4 or 6 people ... there is also a couple of others that take smaller groups that I have heard great things about but at the moment I am totally blank on the names but I'm sure someone else on the forum will come up with the name. Be sure to go down to the Palms on Monday night (if you will still be there next Monday) as they have a great Moko Jumbie show and Kiki and the Fire Dancers ... Tan Tan Tours will give you a great idea of what else you might want to do on the island. Have a great time and be sure and post how your experience was/is.

Lancaster, PA
reviews: 29
2. Re: Landing Tomorrow!

If you like to snorkel, Buck Island is great. Especially if you can go with Capt L, or a private boat. I wouldn't think Big Beard is crowded this time of year either, might check to see what his schedule is, he leaves from the boardwalk in drown C'sted... Lots to see.

There are also many other great non boat spots, ask around, or go back on this forum. Its been discussed many times. I hope you have a nice time.

Clarks Summit,Pa
Destination Expert
for St. Croix
reviews: 1
3. Re: Landing Tomorrow!

Just give STX a chance and it will grow on you..Much different vibe than STJ. Both are worthwhile but STX may not blow you away immediately with it's beauty,like STJ does. STX has it's charms and hopefully you are the type to appreciate them...

Tampa, Florida
4. Re: Landing Tomorrow!

Cane Bay -- if conditions are right - is not to be missed for snorkeling. Would also agree that Buck Island is a must. Big Beards or Captain Heinz would be my choices for Buck.

St. Croix
Destination Expert
for St. Croix
reviews: 75
5. Re: Landing Tomorrow!

A trip to Buck Island is a nice way to spend a day. I like Teroro , Charis, and Jolly Roger. The water is super clear out there but I think the snorkeling is better other places. My favorite is outside the reef on the east end of Shoys (around the pyramid house). Other great places are Tamarind Reef Hotel, The Palms, Mermaid Beach at the Buccaneer, and the west end just south of the condos and Beachside Café. Hope you have a great trip.

407 area code
reviews: 1
6. Re: Landing Tomorrow!

I agree with crabgroupie on Buck Island. Great trip for the beach and to "get out" but I think the snorkeling is "okay" compared to other spots on the island.

Have fun!

We still have 5 months to wait... :-(

New Hampshire
reviews: 3
7. Re: Landing Tomorrow!

We have been out to Buck Island twice with Captain Carl -- great trip both times. http://www.gotostcroix.com/buck-island/heinz.

KY
reviews: 28
8. Re: Landing Tomorrow!

By now you are in St. Croix and having a great time no doubt. We have enjoyed both Captain Heinz and Big Beards excursions to Buck Island...but don't think you could go wrong with any of the boat operators on the island. All of the above mentioned get good reviews.

Rum tours on the island are also popular and must say the Rum tastes very good on St. Croix!

Have a great time!

9. Re: Landing Tomorrow!

Would love a trip report!

10. Re: Landing Tomorrow!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, June 29, 2014