We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

St. Croix in one day w/ children!

Which St. Croix hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Philadelphia...
reviews: 12
St. Croix in one day w/ children!

My family will be taking a Royal Caribbean Cruise in November and wondering what to do in St. Croix with our 9 & 7 yrs old children. We'll be there only from 8AM-5PM, so we want to see as much as we can, but also relax in a nice, clear Caribbean water. I've been reading a lot about the Buck Island tour, but is it really worth it? It seems like it would take all day there considering the to/from trip. How much would the taxi/fair cost to the island? Any tips would be greatly appreciated!

thanks,

Jamie

St. Croix
Destination Expert
for St. Croix
reviews: 75
1. Re: St. Croix in one day w/ children!

Rent a car or take a taxi tour of the island in the morning. Then spend the afternoon at Rainbow Beach which is within walking distance of the pier.

407 area code
reviews: 1
2. Re: St. Croix in one day w/ children!

Yes, what crabgroupie said.

Have fun!

New Hampshire
reviews: 3
3. Re: St. Croix in one day w/ children!

Are they good swimmers? Rent a car and go snorkeling at Cane Bay Beach.

Gardnerville, Nevada
reviews: 15
4. Re: St. Croix in one day w/ children!

I went to the web site for Big Beard's Buck Island Tours and a half day starts at 9:00 in the morning and 12:30 in the afternoon coming back at 3:00. The price is $55 for adults $22 for children under 12. Taxis are $16 per person round trip. The all day tour might not be a bad option because all the extra time would be spent on the beach. Looking up the web sites of the various operators would be a good idea to assure yourself that you could make the early connection and you would have the best of all worlds. Although there is lots to see and do on St. Croix, seeing it from the window of a cab won't give you the full flavor. I agree that going to Rainbow Beach just north of Fredricksted or driving to Cane Bay on the North Shore for snorkeling would both be good ideas.

New Hampshire
reviews: 3
5. Re: St. Croix in one day w/ children!

If you go to Buck Island with kids with one of the operators just make sure its not a party boat. We've seen some pretty intoxicated people on one of the boats.

Northof Boston
reviews: 32
6. Re: St. Croix in one day w/ children!

I have children the same age. I would spend the day at Rainbow beach- there is a restaurant/ bar/ chair rentals and the water is great for kids. If you don't want to do the whole day at the beach, I might suggest taking a taxi to Norma's in the afternoon, to see the beer ( non- alocoholic) drinking pigs. It's a sight to see.

Lexington, Kentucky
7. Re: St. Croix in one day w/ children!

I bet they'd enjoy the Domino Club with the beer drinking pigs.

I wouldn't do Buck Island. I've been there several times where I thought it was pretty rough for snorkeling and I got a little scared and got back on the boat. I've been one of those intoxicated people on Big Beards tour. That rum punch will get you there.

Edited: 1:09 pm, October 26, 2012
Gardnerville, Nevada
reviews: 15
8. Re: St. Croix in one day w/ children!

On second thought, I agree with those who say to skip the Buck Island tour. With kids, Rainbow Beach near the pier in the morning with gentle surf and nearby food and drink and maybe a taxi to the beer (non alcoholic) drinking pigs in the nearby mountain in the afternoon. Maybe just back to the ship for lunch and then souvenir shopping in Fredricksted during the afternoon and skip the taxi. The Caribbean is known for surf and sand and I would maximize that experience.

maryland
Destination Expert
for Baltimore
reviews: 10
9. Re: St. Croix in one day w/ children!

With kids that age - if there is an opportunity to do a half day Tan Tan tour I would do that - that would give you the island, domino club ( who can say no to a beer drinking pig) and the tidal pools.

My kids have done this twice and LOVED it.

~~~
Destination Expert
for Richmond
reviews: 136
10. Re: St. Croix in one day w/ children!

Do the morning island tour or morning Buck Island tour ( Buck Island is gorgeous ), then relax on rainbow beach for the afternoon...

I spend consecutive days out at Buck Island and its not enough! I could go there every day...