We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Latest Info On Cell Phone Rentals?

Which Providenciales hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Carolinas
reviews: 5
Latest Info On Cell Phone Rentals?

Did a bit of searching on TripAdvisor and didn't find any current (2014) information about renting cell phones on Provo (hope I didn't overlook something). Islandcom indicates they rent cell phones for visitors but don't provide any rates that I could find. What other sources are there that would be low cost and reliable? Paid a small fortune to rent one from Seven Stars last year.

I keep reading about buying a cheap phone on ebay and then getting a prepaid SIM from Islandcom as being a cost effective solution. What do I look for on ebay (functionality/features) beyond being unlocked? Please be specific. I wouldn't want it other than for use on TCI.

Thanks for any help that's offered!

11 replies to this topic
maryland
reviews: 3
1. Re: Latest Info On Cell Phone Rentals?

If you have an old cell phone laying around the house you can contact your provider and they will send you the unlock code. We had an old propel and an old Samsung. I always saved them just in case one of my kids lost their phone and were desperate. Then just get a SIM card.

Edited: 4:40 pm, July 22, 2014
Carolinas
2. Re: Latest Info On Cell Phone Rentals?

Unfortunately, no old phones laying around. Are all U.S. phones compatible with the SIMs and service on TCI?

Washington DC...
Destination Expert
for Turks and Caicos
reviews: 10
3. Re: Latest Info On Cell Phone Rentals?

http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-GT-E1205L-Keystone-Dual-Phone/dp/B009EQJ77I/ref=sr_1_11?ie=UTF8&qid=1406062625&sr=8-11&keywords=gsm+unlocked+phones

this one works well for calls on island (I don't get it for pictures and other things)

You can buy a sim card at either LIME or Digicel for $5. After that you can actually add $$$ online (or at kiosks around the island) With Lime you can actually use it all over the Caribbean with no roaming charges (In case you cheat on TCI)

Pittsburgh...
Destination Expert
for Turks and Caicos
reviews: 3
4. Re: Latest Info On Cell Phone Rentals?

Are you planning on renting a car from grace bay car rentals? If so they have complimentary cell phones and you just pay the minute used. We didn't even use $5 worth and it was very convenient.

Detroit, Michigan
reviews: 4
5. Re: Latest Info On Cell Phone Rentals?

Phone time using a cell in TCI shouldn't cost more than $10 for about an hour of chat time including the States. DR. JIM

Los Angeles...
reviews: 104
6. Re: Latest Info On Cell Phone Rentals?

The 2 US carrier that you could use once unlocked are ATT and T mobile. I know in case of ATT, if your current phone has been under contract for atleast 18 month, you can request them to send you an unlock code. ( then for iphone you have to connect to computer itunes and once restarted it will be reconfigured to unlock status. Then you can stop by any mobile company such as digicel or Lime ( or orange in europe)and get a local SIM card and then switch SIM card. Make sure you dont loose your current sim card, because once in US you need to insert back your original SIM card. Using a smart phone is better than a cheap phone, because you can use the navigation ( google maps) feature

Edited: 6:05 pm, July 22, 2014
ny
7. Re: Latest Info On Cell Phone Rentals?

Carolinabeach, what type of phones do u have now and on what network?

Carolinas
8. Re: Latest Info On Cell Phone Rentals?

My wife has a high end Blackberry provided by her employer and they would love to pay for her to be on international roaming regardless of the cost. I don't even let her take it to the airport when we're headed to the Caribbean or else she'd be dealing with work issues. All of this reminds me of the time many, many years ago when we were staying on St. Thomas and had been on a day sailing trip to St. Johns. As we were returning to the dock at the resort where we were staying we could see one of the staff standing on it waving a huge fistful of phone message notes. Our hearts just sank. My wife spent almost the entire next two days on the telephone sorting out other people's screw-ups at work. But, I digress.

I personally wouldn't have a cell phone in the U.S. because I don't want to be that connected, but my wife insists I have one for emergency purposes. So to humor her I have the cheapest thing possible and essentially never use it. It's a Verizon prepaid LG Cosmos 3. Yeah, I know I'm an anachronism. Could that thing work with a SIM card switch in TCI? It's not a GSM phone, is it?

ny
9. Re: Latest Info On Cell Phone Rentals?

my recommendation is to use your wife's blackberry but with a SIM card from digicel. Her job won't be able to call her since you are taking the sim out while there. For 20dollars you will get 1gb of data and 512 minutes to use locally or calling the US. You will be provided with a local 649 phone number.

Carolinas
10. Re: Latest Info On Cell Phone Rentals?

Wanted to provide an update on this matter. First of all, thanks to all who provided input. With regard to using my wife's Blackberry and swapping out the SIM we don't think that's a good idea. She deals with sensitive, confidential information and her phone has enhanced security features which somehow detect any type of tampering. After a lot of contemplation decided to go with blamona's recommendation except I ordered the recommended phone on ebay and it came with free shipping and no sales tax - total cost was $20.90. Consequently I won't be concerned if after too many adult strength pina coladas at the Seven Stars deck bar I manage to drop it in the nearby swimming pool or more likely the loo. I will note the phone comes set up with Spanish as the language, and English and Portuguese being options. My grasp of Spanish is almost non existent, but I think the initial display was trying to tell me my hacienda was about to burn down and also I needed to do something on a prolonged basis. After much experimenting I finally found the path to setting the language to English (you have to hold down the * button to unlock the keyboard which was the initial challenge). Once I had it displaying words I understood it was a breeze setting the different functions. Now all that remains is to visit Lime on Provo and we'll be good to go with a very inexpensive solution. After the trip we'll let you know how it worked.

Reply to: Latest Info On Cell Phone Rentals?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Providenciales