We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

When to book flights for Xmas/New Years?

Which Providenciales hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
New York
reviews: 2
When to book flights for Xmas/New Years?

Flying out of New York on Dec. 20 and returning 2 weeks later on Jan. 3.

Both Jet Blue and United are quoting round trip for 2 people at $3400. Any ideas whether the fares tend to go down later in the summer or fall? Or when the best time to book might be?

Thanks!

20 replies to this topic
Ipswich, MA
reviews: 32
11. Re: When to book flights for Xmas/New Years?

That's insane. As much as I would love a family Christmas trip to Provo it's never going to happen with prices like that. I assume the rest of the Caribbean is bad too.

Newtown, PA
reviews: 266
12. Re: When to book flights for Xmas/New Years?

Agree with Barb. I start looking at airfare when we get to 330 days out. I booked for Christmas week in May and it wasn't easy. I got $170 one way to Provo on Christmas Day from Newark on United. That sounds really great. Coming back is the hard part. I managed $500 one way on New Year's Day with American through Miami to Newark. The good news is we got first class seats with American for both flights.

We probably won't do Christmas week again in the future. I would need a deal like last year when we miraculously got $480 RT and non-stop from Philly during the same week.

Edited: 8:52 pm, July 16, 2014
Detroit, Michigan
reviews: 4
13. Re: When to book flights for Xmas/New Years?

Remember the early booker gets the seats for Christmas time flying. DR. JIM

Gatwick, United...
reviews: 155
14. Re: When to book flights for Xmas/New Years?

ouch....and I thought $1,500 each return to the UK was bad enough...as said before it is peak season and as seat availability gets low the price goes up...it is worth booking now but maybe look at a connection in Florida or somewhere..

New York
reviews: 2
15. Re: When to book flights for Xmas/New Years?

Never knew about the 330 day before rule. Thanks for that.

We booked for our Xmas/NYears at the astronomical fares. We go every year at this time (as well as other times of the year) and this is the most painful fare ever.

Newtown, PA
16. Re: When to book flights for Xmas/New Years?

Case in point, United's fares from Newark for next June are already showing $370 round trip. Outside of peak season, their rates are very good most times of the year.

Detroit, Michigan
reviews: 4
17. Re: When to book flights for Xmas/New Years?

And that's a "Directy" to the Island. 3-4 hours duration flight time, you are there. DR. JIM

Newtown, PA
18. Re: When to book flights for Xmas/New Years?

FWIW, I just saw United's prices drop big time for a couple dates around the holidays. Round trip from 12/24-12/31 is $500 and for 12/24-1/1 it's $540. I'm bummed now because we are flying home on American through Miami on New Year's Day. Never expected to see those rates this late into the year.

Just thought this might help someone out.

Wolcott, Connecticut
reviews: 16
19. Re: When to book flights for Xmas/New Years?

Wouldn't your first class tickets be fully refundable?

Newtown, PA
20. Re: When to book flights for Xmas/New Years?

Some are not. I will check when I get home. When I booked, first class was the only option available.

Reply to: When to book flights for Xmas/New Years?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted