We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

When to book flights for Xmas/New Years?

Which Providenciales hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
New York
reviews: 2
When to book flights for Xmas/New Years?

Flying out of New York on Dec. 20 and returning 2 weeks later on Jan. 3.

Both Jet Blue and United are quoting round trip for 2 people at $3400. Any ideas whether the fares tend to go down later in the summer or fall? Or when the best time to book might be?

Thanks!

20 replies to this topic
Hoboken, New Jersey
1. Re: When to book flights for Xmas/New Years?

Yikes. I booked a trip for Dec 18-22 that was about $1500 Round trip for 2 (Had to pay way less because of miles). But I'm flying Delta straight from Atlanta, so that's probably why it is cheaper. Have you tried looking at all of the NY area airports? JFK, LGA, EWR, even Philly? And you should book soon, that's peak season.

Detroit, Michigan
reviews: 4
2. Re: When to book flights for Xmas/New Years?

That's over $240 a day that you are paying just for that airfare for 14 days over the twin Holiday period! That's a lot in my book. At this conjuncture, air seats are going to be full before the Holidays. It's not a cheap time to be flying anywhere this year. Have you checked on the seating available with both airlines? That would be your barometer on what's a good time to book. Do you wait for a drop in rate or do you have a 3 day+/- flexible schedule? Every day those empty seats will be filling(sold). The rate I negotiated for next month to Provo I could take 21 people for my 2 weeker for that $3400. DR. JIM

Foxboro...
reviews: 6
3. Re: When to book flights for Xmas/New Years?

Wow, I've spent less than that for a weeks stay including resort rental, spending $$, airfare and car rental..

Washington DC...
Destination Expert
for Turks and Caicos
reviews: 10
4. Re: When to book flights for Xmas/New Years?

THat time of year they only get higher!

Try delta, or check out

Matrix.itasoftware.com, continue to matrix

You might have to connect, buy if around $750, that will be a deal!

Wolcott, Connecticut
reviews: 16
5. Re: When to book flights for Xmas/New Years?

When I checked flying Friday to Friday for about $825 p/p connecting flights out of JFK return to EWR

Detroit, Michigan
reviews: 4
6. Re: When to book flights for Xmas/New Years?

Well that's 1/2 less. You should consider the day difference, seats available, connecting flight, etc. that makes the trip more affordable for your Holiday to Provo to make your decision soon. Same applies about booking your base-of-operations on the Island. Hope both of you the best for your vacation. DR. JIM

New York
7. Re: When to book flights for Xmas/New Years?

So, our villa rental is Saturday to Saturday so we don't have flexibility in terms of schedule. Also, for a variety of reasons we need to fly direct. Does anyone think the rates may go down during the summer for our dates. I hate to pay such an exorbitant amount. Last year was cheaper.

Devon, Pennsylvania
reviews: 1
8. Re: When to book flights for Xmas/New Years?

about 80% of flights i checked from philly and jfk were already sold out,i think you better book soon,most times that holiday period is 2-3 times regular airfare and sells out quick..better check seats on flights your thinking of booking,,imo it will not go down at all and probably up if anything..it is outrageuos air that time of year,why i don't ever fly over them..Good luck

New York
9. Re: When to book flights for Xmas/New Years?

While I was complaining to T.A. about the prices, they went up even more!!

Now: $3516. Really horrifying.

Knoxville, Tennessee
reviews: 21
10. Re: When to book flights for Xmas/New Years?

Flights around the holidays (Thanksgiving, Christmas, mid-February vacation for Northeast schools, Easter) get booked very early. Many who travel during these times on a regular basis will book their flights as soon as they become available, which is usually 330 days out. As others have said, check seat availability, especially if you want seats together.

We used to travel a lot at Thanksgiving time but stopped doing that, partially because of the costs, but also the hassle. If there's any kind of problem like bad weather or missed connections, there's no room to re-book people onto flights so it can be days before you get to your scheduled destination.

United is showing non-stops to/from EWR for about $3000 including taxes. Still ridiculous in my book. Seat availability on the return is very limited so I'd book soon if you're even considering these flights. Good luck!

Reply to: When to book flights for Xmas/New Years?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted