We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fresh fruit?

Which Providenciales hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
reviews: 3
Fresh fruit?

Heading to Provo in a couple weeks, can anyone tell me if they have fresh strawberries at the grocery store? And if not, has anyone seen them in the frozen section?

Providenciales
Destination Expert
for Turks and Caicos
1. Re: Fresh fruit?

Yes.

maryland
reviews: 3
2. Re: Fresh fruit?

Yes lots of fresh fruit.

Fanwood, New Jersey
reviews: 12
3. Re: Fresh fruit?

I was wondering similarly about avocados and papayas. I'm not sure if I'm allowed to travel with a few avocados in my carry on or if that's against the law?

Mullica Hill, New...
Destination Expert
for Turks and Caicos
reviews: 16
4. Re: Fresh fruit?

The IGA's have plenty of avocados and papayas always. I think you are allowed to bring produce in, but you are supposed to declare it, just like meat. We always buy it there since it doesn't travel well and it's not worth the hassle.

Mission, Canada
5. Re: Fresh fruit?

Is there much fruit grown on the island?

Mangos?? please tell me they grow mangos on TCI. Or at least apricots.

Ottawa
reviews: 1
6. Re: Fresh fruit?

Per Joe, the IGA has plenty of avocado; they even carry two varieties. The little dinky ones that we can get here, and these monster ones that are almost twice the size.

Providenciales
Destination Expert
for Providenciales
7. Re: Fresh fruit?

As far as growing food, there are a few farms on the islands. North Caicos gets more rain so they do have a better chance. We have a few farms on Providenciales. You will not find fields, as such, more a slash and burn method, dropping seeds into little pockets of dirt between the rocks. Root crops are grown, tomatoes, pawpaws, guineps, sapodilla, key lime, pigeon peas, bananas and plenty coconuts. We have a hydroponics farm that supplies greens and tomatoes. Most fruit like mangoes and avocados that require alot of water are improrted from the DR.

The imported fresh fruit is usually a good selection and plenty in the freezer section as well. No Apricot trees as they do require a cold dormant winter.

Colorado
reviews: 5
8. Re: Fresh fruit?

We loved what they called the "local" avocados (the monster ones). Had one every day - they are less expensive than the smaller ones and tasted great. Wish we could get them here!

Edited: 12:21 pm, March 28, 2014
Boston
reviews: 18
9. Re: Fresh fruit?

Are there ladies selling haitian and dominican mangoes on the street and bus stops yet?

10. Re: Fresh fruit?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, March 31, 2015