We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Unsafe areas? Cycling the island...

Which Providenciales hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Rockaway, New Jersey
reviews: 11
Unsafe areas? Cycling the island...

Curious, everyone makes this island sound so peaceful and safe, so I am wondering are there any places that a vacationer should avoid or be extra careful?

Also, I understand that there are a lot of crazy drivers, but it is possible to tour much of the island on bicycle by riding along beaches and/or side roads? We are in pretty good shape and can easily cycle 50 miles in a day, but again any places we should avoid? This would be a fun excursion for us if it is safe and do-able.

16 replies to this topic
Rockaway, New Jersey
11. Re: Unsafe areas? Cycling the island...

@Rodrigo G, please take lots of notes for me when you go on your vacation. I hope the biking works out for you, as that will be a great and an enjoyable way to see a lot. I will be looking for your review when you come back, as we don't go until June, so I have lots of time to plan.

Santiago, Chile
reviews: 12
12. Re: Unsafe areas? Cycling the island...

@Laxisun, of course I will do that!! When I return from my vacation, I'll write a review on everything I did, and biking!

Providenciales
reviews: 36
13. Re: Unsafe areas? Cycling the island...

you'll be fine

its best to turn right from PoC along to COCO BISTRO, then cut up thru GARDEN LOOP, this will bring to the highway, then you turn left and just 300yds or so to the turning for LONG BAY HIGHWAY, which will take you into long bay.

if you go up the road from seven stars, you will need to deal with a busy roundabout and 1km of highway.

Edited: 11:02 am, September 10, 2013
Ottawa
reviews: 19
14. Re: Unsafe areas? Cycling the island...

Also the edges of the roads are treacherous, jagged & riddled with potholes. Some short stretches of roads are pretty good & there's even a sidewalk which I've seen bikers using. By staying near PoC you'll be able to walk to many areas & rent a car for 3 days to explore!

Providenciales
Destination Expert
for Providenciales
15. Re: Unsafe areas? Cycling the island...

Things have changed greatly over the past little while. Bicycles are becoming more integrated into our lifestyle, as the roads have improved. One problem remaining is what drivers know about the right of a bicycle to share the road with. We do have a bicycle club and I have seen riders touring in groups of 15 to 20. You can contact TCI Cycles 649-431-2481 tcicycles@gmail.com For rentals contact Caicos Cyclery 649-941-7544 www.CaicosCyclery.com

In the Grace Bay area visitors are encouraged to ride on the sidewalks. I have seen many very near misses as they wobble down the wrong side of the (sidewalk) road right across intersections never looking at the cars exiting (who are looking the other way).

For avid cyclists I would highly recommend a trip over to North and Middle Caicos for a bicycle tour… beautiful roads and almost no traffic. It is not easy to ride on sand and special fat tires are required.

Rockaway, New Jersey
16. Re: Unsafe areas? Cycling the island...

Ok thanks everyone, I guess we'll have to decide when we get there.

Wouldn't it be nice if just one day a week, no cars were aloud, only bicycles.

Gees if every vacationer rented a car....that could be awful.

Reply to: Unsafe areas? Cycling the island...
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted