We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to find legal empty conch shells on the beach?

Which Providenciales hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
NJ
reviews: 14
Where to find legal empty conch shells on the beach?

Hi, I have read several posts about conch shells. I will be staying on Grace Bay and would like to go to a beach where I can find my own empty conch shell laying on the beach that is in good condition legally (rather than buying one). Can you give me some ideas on where exactly I can do that? I won't have much time in TCI though! I hope to come back again for more time. Thank you very much. I am learning so much on this forum to help me plan my first trip there!

walpole, ma
reviews: 18
1. Re: Where to find legal empty conch shells on the beach?

i found some on long bay beach.not sure but i think you can take 2.

British Virgin...
reviews: 38
2. Re: Where to find legal empty conch shells on the beach?

walk up from grace bay to leeward - plenty there!

Providenciales
Destination Expert
for Turks and Caicos
3. Re: Where to find legal empty conch shells on the beach?

Princess Alexandra Land and Sea National Park encompasses all beaches in Leeward, around Mangrove Cay and Little Water Cay. Removing any marine or land invertebrate or verterbrate whether dead or alive from any national park, sanctuary or place of historical interest is illegal and punishable by a fine of 5000.00, 12 months in her majesty's hotel or both.

Austin
reviews: 4
4. Re: Where to find legal empty conch shells on the beach?

Why not just buy one and help out one of the local families who sell them to make a living? that way, you will not violate the National park system and you will also get a clean one and not have to worry about it smelling up your luggage half way home.

Providenciales
Destination Expert
for Turks and Caicos
5. Re: Where to find legal empty conch shells on the beach?

You could try buying them but I hear they are confiscating the shells at the airport-no way to tell collected from bought so they are taking them all.

Castleford, United...
reviews: 56
6. Re: Where to find legal empty conch shells on the beach?

On Sunday, they were taken all conch shells from everyone going through security! I saw nice polished bought ones and freshly found ones in a huge box at the xray machine. There was also a sign that said no conch shells could be taken out of the country when it wasn't conch season.

maryland
reviews: 3
7. Re: Where to find legal empty conch shells on the beach?

Lobo,

as per ukusa post mentioning conch season.

I think there use to be a conch season, but the last several years no, is this correct? I heard they were going to start having a conch season, but I didn't no the law had been implemented yet. I have seen conch served in oct/ nov, apr/may, jul/ aug, so I can't figure out what the season is.

British Virgin...
reviews: 38
8. Re: Where to find legal empty conch shells on the beach?

as per normal in the TCI, confusion reigns!!

A Govt dept may well have implemented a closed season, or a ban on shell exports but has anyone told the visitors, or even the vendors selling them??

This is the sort of thing you only find out about once you go thru it..

I can guarantee that people will leave / have left this week with shells intact!!

Don't try to understand the logic - there is none.... :)

NJ
reviews: 14
9. Re: Where to find legal empty conch shells on the beach?

Thanks everyone! It certainly is confusing! However, I think I thought of a better idea! I will take a beautiful photo of one as a memory!

Newport Beach...
Destination Expert
for Providenciales
reviews: 45
10. Re: Where to find legal empty conch shells on the beach?

Wow! Sounds like a great scam. They confiscate the shells that people bought, the agents then give them back to the original seller who then sells them again to unsuspecting tourists only to have them confiscated again....it goes on and on. Meanwhile someone is making some really nice money.

If it's not officially "conch season" right now then there needs to be an island wide ban on selling them....but somehow I don't think that's going to happen anytime soon.

Ridiculous!