We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ocean too cold to swim?

Which Providenciales hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Brooklyn, New York
reviews: 1
Ocean too cold to swim?

Hi,

I've been reading some conflicting information on how the waters are in december. I'll be arrive dec 15 and I am wondering if the waters are warm enough to swim in, supposidly it will be mid 80's during the day so i should be able to tan?

Could anyone please confirm how the ocean/beach water is during mid december? Is it warm enough to swim in, and hot enough to tan.

Kind Regards,

Detroit, Michigan
reviews: 4
1. Re: Ocean too cold to swim?

We have been to Provo 3 times in early December. Water is just a couple of degrees less than the late Summer. My whole family swims without any discomfort. As for tanning, it's the direct sun rays the skin is exposed to; not the temperature. You can get sun burned even on cloudy days if exposure is prolonged on skin without cover or protection. DR. JIM

Mullica Hill, New...
Destination Expert
for Turks and Caicos
reviews: 16
2. Re: Ocean too cold to swim?

We go mid December every year and the air temperature is usually low 80's, ocean temperature is mid 70's. For some people that is too cold to swim. It is not for me, but it is for my wife. If the water isn't 84 at least, she won't go all the way in.

The sun is usually plenty warm for tanning.

Canandaigua, New...
reviews: 22
3. Re: Ocean too cold to swim?

It's only too cold if you are from California......for the rest of us......perfecto!

Mike

Newport Beach...
reviews: 46
4. Re: Ocean too cold to swim?

Hehehe, Mike, that's a good one!

I can't wait to plunge my CA body into that "cold" water next week! ;-)

California
reviews: 3
5. Re: Ocean too cold to swim?

I am in Provo right now. This water temperature is subjective to each individual. My wife and I are both from CAlifornia so the water right now is cold for us to swim in. As matter of fact 3 days here I probably see 10 people in the water swimming in my resort and the next adjacent 2 resorts. I took a long walk along the beach today and rarely see anyone in the water. If the sun is out it is comfortable to tan. I went to the pool at Seven Stars and the guy there said they maintain the pool at 80 degrees. That's what I like my ocean temperature to be. I am guessing the ocean temperature right now is around 72degrees. You will not get bath warm water right now.

Newport Beach...
reviews: 46
6. Re: Ocean too cold to swim?

Please stop trying to scare people away from this place! The water temperature is 81 degrees....I live in CA by the beach and we are lucky to even get into the mid seventies and that's in the summer.

We get that you don't like it there but please don't falsify things and put scare tactics into place.

www.surf-forecast.com/breaks/Pine-Cay/seatemp

Mullica Hill, New...
Destination Expert
for Turks and Caicos
reviews: 16
7. Re: Ocean too cold to swim?

I am encouraging the scaring of people away from this place, Patty. Think about it... : )

new york
8. Re: Ocean too cold to swim?

I was in Provo for the first time last February. I wouldn't call the water warm, but it was definitely warmer than Jones Beach water in August!

Providenciales
reviews: 27
9. Re: Ocean too cold to swim?

Val to his two island boys - ok boys "1-2-3-jump!' - we all jump in the water, scringe our faces for about 30 seconds - then all is perfect again

Beverly...
reviews: 1
10. Re: Ocean too cold to swim?

Anyone have any cheese and crackers to go with Rio's whine? The coldest water there is warmer than the warmest water here. Nut up Sally, have a cocktail and enjoy paradise.