We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

sharks

Which Providenciales hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Whtiby Ontario
sharks

Is this a common thing for sharks to be seen at Beaches Grace Bay, this has never happened to me before on my travels, Is this because it is the Atlantic?? And why does no one ever mention it on their reviews.

Marietta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Beach Vacations, Bonaire
reviews: 32
1. Re: sharks

I'd say it is very unusual, but not unheard of, to see sharks at any of the close-in snorkel sites, such as Coral Gardens or Smiths Reef. Any sharks in those areas are likely to be Nurse or Sand sharks and harmless.

On our recent 11th visit to Provo and probably around our 30 snorkeling trip, this one to the outside of the reef, I saw my first shark there, and that was just a brief glimpse before the shark swam, quickly, in the other direction.

The last thing to worry about on Provo is sharks....

Whtiby Ontario
2. Re: sharks

Im sure it was a harmless shark but never before have I been asked to get out of the water, just found that strange. And no one has mentioned it since then . I didnt say anything on my review because I actually thought tripadvisor would not post it , didnt want to hurt the tourist business for turks and caicos, just guessing

Mullica Hill, NJ
reviews: 30
3. Re: sharks

You go in the water. Shark's in the water.

[sings]

Farewell and adieu to you, fair Spanish ladies. Farewell and adieu, you ladies of Spain.

Kidding, I've seen little cuties at the beachline, large on deeper water snorkels. First I've heard of a Grace Bay sighting where they had you get out of the water. Kind of exciting! Not something that you generally have to worry about. But, tis the ocean, Shark's in the water.

Edited: 10:57 pm, November 10, 2012
Washington DC...
Destination Expert
for Turks and Caicos
reviews: 10
4. Re: sharks

Sharks in the ocean? Wow, who knew?

;-)

Seriously, they're not Great Whites like Jaws, you have to go to Australia, California and New England for those.

I've seen plenty, not just Provo but other islands too.

TCI has never ever had a shark attack.

Ronkonkoma, New York
Destination Expert
for Turks and Caicos
5. Re: sharks

One year we watched a small (4ft) lemon shark cruise around in front of coral gardens about 10 ft out and when it worked it's way down in front of beaches you could hear the shrieks back up to coral gardens.

Seriously, it's their world and i've seen many different kinds in T&C. I've seen nurse, reef, lemon and one time, although far away I thought I saw a bull on the outer reef and I'm sure many others frequent there.

Unless it was just rumors, I've heard contrary to Blamona's last statement.

Edited: 6:02 am, November 11, 2012
Mullica Hill, New...
Destination Expert
for Turks and Caicos
reviews: 16
6. Re: sharks

I read an article about a woman attacked by a Tiger out near Frenchman's Reef while snorkeling a few years ago. She survived with severe injuries to her shoulder.

Providenciales
Destination Expert
for Providenciales
7. Re: sharks

Its no rumor, there have been isolated incidents, we do try to have them not bite travel writers. Add Hammerheads and Whale Sharks to the list but I am not aware of Grest White sightings.

Washington DC...
Destination Expert
for Turks and Caicos
reviews: 10
8. Re: sharks

I meant to write on Provo, not TCI. Maybe I need another profession?

And attacks, although I could be wrong, were scuba divers looking for them or sloop wrecks from Haiti.

I've never heard of one on Grace Bay, although when I'm there they might be afraid to come out.

No one has died of one though.

And I have seen them plenty on other islands too, not just Provo. Saw them in Aruba, BVIs, Grenadines, Caymans.

Whtiby Ontario
9. Re: sharks

yes I know great whites are not in those waters. just was curious to know why people arent talking about it, this was my first time to turks, so I thought all those people on the beach were used to this happening, Still kind of made us nervous seeing everyone all at once getting out of the water, Thanks for the info

Mullica Hill, New...
Destination Expert
for Turks and Caicos
reviews: 16
10. Re: sharks

People don't talk about it because it doesn't happen very often that they come in that close to the beach when people are around. Sharks are always in the water, you can just see them better in TCI. ; )