We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Passport needed?

Which Providenciales hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Milford, Connecticut
reviews: 48
Passport needed?

Can someone tell me if a US citizen now needs a passport for entry or is a birth certificate and photo ID enough?

thank you

NY
1. Re: Passport needed?

yes, you do need a passport.

TC tourism board www.turksandcaicostourism.com/tctb/islands/

DC Metro Area
2. Re: Passport needed?

Actually, the State Department has changed the date for requiring a Passport to travel to the Carribean.

travel.state.gov/travel/cbpmc/cbpmc_2626.html

"December 31, 2006 – Requirement applied to all air and sea travel to or from Canada, Mexico, Central and South America, the Caribbean, and Bermuda. "

"In April 2005, the Departments of State (State) and Homeland Security (DHS) announced a proposed plan to be implemented in three phases beginning on December 31, 2005 for the Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative. After further review and considering the delay in publishing the public notice in the Federal Register, State and DHS recognized that implementing the December 31, 2005, phase would be problematic for travelers. This new timeline will simplify the implementation and provide a longer lead-time for travelers to come into compliance with the requirements"

Beverly...
reviews: 2
3. Re: Passport needed?

actually you don't need a passport...they are changing the law but it won't go into effect until january 2008 i believe...

if you do a search you can find a lot of postings with good informtion...and if you look at the link provided by vaca2provo it says...

Visitors from U.S.A. and Canada may enter without a passport, if they have an original birth certificate (or, a notarized copy) and a photo id (e.g.. Driver's License). Visitors from commonwealth countries are require passports, visas are necessary for noncommonwealth countries of the former Eastern Bloc. You are advised to contact the nearest British Consulate Office for visa applications.

we have been 4 times since 2003 and have always used our photo id and birth certificates (long form with the seal) and have had no problems..never felt delayed or had any issues at customs on either end...

we do want to get passports evetually but we leave in 41 days and don't have them so hopefully the information i've found is correct...

any recent travelers out there go with or without passports?

NY
4. Re: Passport needed?

Sorry if I am confused. I went down to the passport office in NYC, because my passport had expired...oops. I told him I was travelling to the Carribean - at that time, I was between St. Lucia, TC, Antigua, and Tobago. He HIGHLY advised me to renew. Not a problem leaving, but re-entry was stricter than in the past.

Funny story. HE even had a problem at the Canadian border at re-entry.

I will let you know if I see any people travelling w/o passports in a few weeks.

Just a warning...I paid for their "express" renewal (2-3 wks). I paid $127 or $137 for the actual passport and a $30 processing fee.

Good luck.

new jersey
Destination Expert
for Charlevoix, Michigan
reviews: 31
5. Re: Passport needed?

This is such a confusing subject. The government made so many announcements about the requirement of a passport for travel to Canada, Mexico and the Caribbean after January 1, 2006. The government did not make such a big deal about announcing the change of date to January 1, 2008. The correct answer is that you do not need a passport to travel to Canada, Mexico or The Caribbean until Jan. 1, 2008. As Justlaura said, you may check the State Department website for confirmation.

Having said that though, it is always easier to travel outside of this country with a passport. When you arrive in TCI with a passport, they process you by scanning the barcode on your passport. It takes no time. Those who travel with birth certificates cause the process to be much longer. The information on the birth certificate must be hand entered and examined by the processor. As a courtesy to yourself (you will be on the beach faster) and your fellow travelers, it is a good idea to have a passport.

The following is a reply I posted to two or three other threads regarding the need for passports. I hope it helps. Moms

"This is just another example of government confusion. Pursuant to The Intelligence Reform and Terrorism Prevention Act of 2004, Americans were required to use a passport to travel to an from the Caribbean, Mexico and Canada, among other countries as of January 1, 2006. But after much protest, mostly from Americans who live along the Canadian border and frequently cross the border for commercial reasons, the date of this requirement changed to January 1, 2008. The U.S. State Department website for this information is www.travel.state.gov.

The statute specifically provides as follows:

"The Intelligence Reform and Terrorism Prevention Act of 2004 requires that by January 1, 2008, travelers to and from the Caribbean, Bermuda, Panama, Mexico and Canada have a passport or other secure, accepted document to enter or re-enter the United States..."

Even travel agents, who claim to have verified the information on the need for passports, are confused by the revision in the law.

Because you are not traveling until July, you may want to get a passport though. Clearing immigration in Provo is rarely a speedy process. Using a passport, with its associated barcode, speeds the process for not only you but your fellow travelers:)

I hope this clarifies the issue! Have a great trip. Moms"

Get answers to your questions about Providenciales