We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is Grace Bay Safe?

Which Providenciales hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Connecticut
Is Grace Bay Safe?

Going to Provo in early November and staying at the Sands. This is going to be a girls getaway for some much needed R&R. Is the area safe for 2 (perhaps 3) women walking to the various restaurants? Is walking along the beach in the evening safe? How about an early morning jog along the beach?

Atlanta, GA
reviews: 17
1. Re: Is Grace Bay Safe?

I would not hesitate to visit Provo by myself or with other women. We never had any sketchy experiences at all. I was talking to a cab driver, asking him what he thought about all of the new developments, and he said the only thing that worried him was that they would bring crime to the island, because right now there was no crime.

The beach is pretty deserted at night, but I haven't heard of any problems; my husband and I felt very safe walking there.

Durham, North...
reviews: 1
2. Re: Is Grace Bay Safe?

I absolutely agree - we felt perfectly safe the whole time we were there, with one exception. We were driving around, exploring the island, and we drove down to Five Cays to find the fish market, which we never did find. We came to a very impoverished area where we literally saw a man passed out, seemingly intoxicated, in the road, with lots of people milling around everywhere. The roads were horrible, so we had to go really slowly, and in our little while Avis box car we reeked of tourists. We drove down about 10 minutes, then turned around and left because we felt so weird. Keep in mind, we chose to go to this part of the island which is quite a distance from the main touristy places. I don't mean to scare anyone, but I offer this example to contrast how this one little area felt to us from the rest of the island.

Around Grace Bay we felt quite safe and walked a lot on the beach at night, never once even feeling a hint of unease. If we went inside or took a walk during the day, we left our bags on the chairs at the beach alone and never had a problem. We always felt safe in our exploring other parts of the island as wel, with the exception of the Five Cays area.

ATL
3. Re: Is Grace Bay Safe?

It is probably one of the safer places in the Carribeans... Fortunately the island has not been discovered by the spring break crowd, yet.

Virginia
4. Re: Is Grace Bay Safe?

We were just there last week, and walked the beach day and night- not even a question about our safety.

Houston
5. Re: Is Grace Bay Safe?

My husband and I felt completely safe while we were there with one exception. We went to a restaurant - Hey Jose's - that is a little out of the way of most of the Provo activity (as in, it's not on the beach). We went late (we didn't leave the restaurant until 10:00) and there were some shady characters in the parking lot (lurking in the shadows, wearing sweatshirts with their hoods up and closed around their faces despite the July heat, etc.). It made us uncomfortable, but luckily the Gecko arrived and we left. So just be cautious when leaving the resort areas if you are going late at night.

Toronto
6. Re: Is Grace Bay Safe?

Hi luvthebeach - We are going to the Sands Nov 6th with our 4 year old. This will be our second visit to Grace Bay - first time we stayed next door at the Sibonne (which was great). With all of the great restaurants to try, we often found ourselves walking back along the beach after 10pm and always felt completely safe.

I went for a run every morning at 6am and always felt very comfortable.

Have a great trip and lets keep our fingers crossed about the weather in early Nov.

P.S. the sunsets will be early but they are magnificent.

Connecticut
7. Re: Is Grace Bay Safe?

Thanks for the reassurance!! I thought it was probably safe otherwise I would have seen posts on the problems but just wanted to make sure!!

Toronto latic - we arrive on the 10th. Looking forward to spending lots of time on the beautiful beach, floating in gorgeous water, sipping cocktails, and seeing spectacular sunsets!!

massachusett
Destination Expert
for Turks and Caicos
reviews: 5
8. Re: Is Grace Bay Safe?

Hi

Just remember to be aware of you surroundings all the time no matter how safe you feel. Take the same precautions as you would take at home no place is completely safe

Toronto
9. Re: Is Grace Bay Safe?

hi luvthebeach,

we'll probably see you at Hemingways - if you get a chance you should also try the Bay Bistro and Anacona - both great food and ambience (on the beach) and an easy walk from the Sands.

Connecticut
10. Re: Is Grace Bay Safe?

Camke - great advise. Unfortunately it has to be that way. You are right there is no place that is completely safe.

Toronto latic - Hemmingways is a definate - most likely on several evenings. The other two places are on our list as well. With all the great places to eat I better bring my running shoes! How long are you staying in Provo?