We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Daytripper to South Caicos V.S. Salt Cay?

Detroit, Michigan
reviews: 4
Daytripper to South Caicos V.S. Salt Cay?

Given a choice to visit one on a Daytripper via plane from Provo--which would provide the best experience? Family of 5 have been to Grand Turk and many times to North/Middle Caicos. Going in August. Just what's best to see Island wise? Need to rent golf cart(s) since my young twin daughters cannot ride bikes yet. DR. JIM

Mullica Hill, New...
Destination Expert
for Turks and Caicos
reviews: 16
1. Re: Daytripper to South Caicos V.S. Salt Cay?

I have been to neither, but I would pick Salt Cay. There are no golf carts to rent on South I believe, and there are more options for food etc on Salt Cay for a day trip.

Both are on our list to get to soon.

British Virgin...
reviews: 37
2. Re: Daytripper to South Caicos V.S. Salt Cay?

Salt Cay for sure, more to do, more to see, easier get around (rent buggy or bikes) more places to eat.

make sure you arrange everything before you go.

let me know if you need any contact details there.

Washington DC...
Destination Expert
for Turks and Caicos
reviews: 10
3. Re: Daytripper to South Caicos V.S. Salt Cay?

Another vote for Salt Cay.

Golf carts are easy to get around in, it's a tiny island

The 3 restaurants are really good!

You can look for pirates graves, cool

You can go clamming

North Beach is one of the most gorgeous beaches in TCI

You will meet locals that become lifelong friends (you have to meet Porter, Debbie, Candy and Tim)

White House is so cool to go through and explore, ask Tim for a tour

What time of year are you going? Jan thru April is whale watching, amazing!

Summer sharks breed at Sandy Cay, which is also amazing. Sandy Cay has electric turquoise water like nowhere else

As for South, I'd hold off until there's more infrastructure. Only 1 restaurant for lunch for day trippers (and just okay, not on the beach, etc). Beaches don't even come close to others. Great snorkel and scuba and fishing, but no one there to really take you out yet. It's more of a "working" island.

South's day will come, but it's really not there yet in my opinion.

Salt Cay is great!

Detroit, Michigan
4. Re: Daytripper to South Caicos V.S. Salt Cay?

Well, my young twin daughters better learn to ride a bike by August because that's when we are going. DR. JIM

Colorado
reviews: 5
5. Re: Daytripper to South Caicos V.S. Salt Cay?

I would also choose Salt Cay for all of the reasons listed from the above DE's. But, to really experience all that it has to offer, I would recommend staying at least 1 night there!

Vero Beach, FL
reviews: 149
6. Re: Daytripper to South Caicos V.S. Salt Cay?

Salt Cay for sure. We won't be "on island" from April 22 to early June.

Check out our Web sites and/or Blogs. If you can assist you in planning your trip please let us know or making any reservations for a golf cart, etc., please let us know.

Porter & Haidee

Providenciales
reviews: 27
7. Re: Daytripper to South Caicos V.S. Salt Cay?

Having experienced both and booked vacations in both, I'd suggest that they are two different types of experiences. Comments by other posters are dead on, the Salt Cay experience is not to be missed. South Caicos has a whole other charm though, very few visitors have had the chance to experience it 'recently', the plans from Sailrock are exciting, and the feedback on the ground with the recent Big Blue excursions and the folks coming back from the ferry has been very positive. There's still a lot of work to be done, but those that visit tend to know that there's minimal tourism infrastructure there yet (that's what they like about it). These islands are so diverse, there's definitely something for everyone to enjoy.

Detroit, Michigan
8. Re: Daytripper to South Caicos V.S. Salt Cay?

More to experience on Salt Cay with non-bike transportation(golf carts) since my young twin daughters cannot ride bikes and I know they probably don't have small child seats on their regular rental bikes. So It now appears we will take the "Fear" flight over on the first Wednesday since we have a full two weeker(15 days) for the Daytripper. As usual North-Middle Caicos is another Daytripper we always love to do. My flipper developement is coming along nicely in time to meet up with my turtle friends also. I want to personally give a BIG T & C Thank you to joebwan, Husby-Amp, blamona, islangirl43, pwii and Val for repsonding. DR. JIM

Edited: 12:02 pm, March 31, 2013
Sherwood Park...
reviews: 30
9. Re: Daytripper to South Caicos V.S. Salt Cay?

How do you get to salt cay from provo?

Is there any shore diving or good shore snorkelling?

British Virgin...
reviews: 37
10. Re: Daytripper to South Caicos V.S. Salt Cay?

Fly by CAICOS EXPRESS AIRWAYS from provo to salt cay (maybe via Grand Turk if schedule insists)

world class diving 200yds offshore so boat is needed.(local dive shop doeas this)

only one or two good snrkelling spots from the beach