We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visiting In January

Vienna, Austria
reviews: 12
Visiting In January

We are looking at visiting mid-January and before I book flight tickets, I needed to know a few things.

1. I know a lot of the Carribean experiences high surf days when beaches are closed. Does this happen in Trinidad/Tobago - when that happens, is there a protected swimming beach to go to? We have 3.5 yr old who needs her beach time.

2. How much diving can one get done. I am basiclaly trying to avoid high surf days. What are our chances?

trinidad
reviews: 9
1. Re: Visiting In January

Check out mytobago website.

Toronto, Canada
reviews: 8
2. Re: Visiting In January

Usually by January the sea calms down quite a bit. There are numerous places you can find a quiet area to swim. Where abouts are you staying? Diving is awesome in Tobago, especially up north end of the island.

Toronto, Canada
reviews: 8
3. Re: Visiting In January

Having said that high tide versus low tide doesn't usually affect the beach that much. I just find that Oct/Nov/Dec/ the sea/ocean itself is rough. Usually by mid Jan it has settled down. Last Feb it was beautiful for two weeks, then we had two days of very rough seas....then back to calm. So you never know for sure. DO NOT stay on the Atlantic side if you want to avoid serious waves. Recommend the west side from Castara on down. Store Bay/Crown Pt area is ideal for first timers and then take a dive tour which can be set up by the hotel. There are numerous dive shops to choose from. Coco Reef even has a man made breakwall so the little one can play on the beach (protected)....but then you are in a resort. If you do stay in a resort, get out and explore!

Edited: 9:49 am, November 21, 2013
4. Re: Visiting In January

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, November 23, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Tobago