We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

All ready to book family holiday .... then read the foreign...

Which Tobago hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Taunton Somerset UK
All ready to book family holiday .... then read the foreign...

Was planning to book a family (2 adults and 5 year old) holiday to Tobago for April 2006 at Coco Reef resort .I was very excited at the thought of our first visit to the caribbean and already to pay the deposit then I read the Foreign Office Website and I am now almost terrified to book ..... crime, kidnappings, even bombs (in Trinidad) ..... I had set my heart on the resort but know I am totally at a loss what to do ..... we would want to venture out of the hotel complex but only on organised tours and to visit beaches durring the day .... Am I over reacting or are my worries and concerns justified ... please help

uk
reviews: 24
21. Re: All ready to book family holiday .... then read the foreign...

thanks.Crime in itself isnt a particular concern to me-I deal with it in my job-but staying safe is about assessing the risks and minimising them.I was intending to stay in a private villa near englishmans bay which is now mentioned on the british Foreign office website.What we seem to be talking about in tobago in certain areas, is a crimewave.I couldnt recommend my mother /daughter/sister to stay at this location.I live in a smallish British town, where there has been a spate of handbag dipping (purses stolen) its not unknown for there to be 10 such incidents in an hour.This has happened many times,but the general population isnt aware and the police dont publicise it,but i now attach my purse to the inside of my bag, cos I have been told so many times the very clever way the purses are stolen-this doesnt make me a paranoid female-in fact im well informed and thanks to the internet now can weigh up the pros and cons of going to a new place.I have allready made the enquiries about barbados.I wont leave my accomodation unlocked for a moment, even if sitting by the pool.I will keep the metal window guards locked.I wont let my guard down the first night i am there and leave money or valuables unsecured in the apartment.I wont walk on beaches at night.ill be discreet about any money i carry.However i could do all this and still be subject to a crime but I think I will feel safer because ive taken the right advice.