We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Security

Venice
reviews: 112
Security

I just seen there was a state of emergancy announced last autumn. I'm planning with my wife a three week break on T&T mixing walking, time on beach, a bit of car touring. First time in the Caribbean. I've travelled to over 60 countries and understand being 'street wise'. My question is what is the 'feel' in T&T? Is it laid back and relaxed provided you use commonsense or is there tension hard to avoid. I usually stay at B&Bs and hire a car. Any feedback appreciated along the lines 'go' or 'dont go'.

Tampa, Florida
1. Re: Security

The place most visitors go to is Tobago since it has the majority of nice beaches. And it is easier to drive there compared to Trinidad since there is much less traffic. And for those not used to driving on the left side of the road you don't want to test your skills for the first time in Trinidad.

Strasbourg, France
reviews: 88
2. Re: Security

I was in Tobago and drove in trinidad  last december and felt perfectly safe we took public transport, official taxi and non official ones we walked and always felt safe

My wife and i are not used to drive at the left side of the Road and had nô problem during our vacation

I hope you ll enjoy your trip

Trinidad
reviews: 79
3. Re: Security

Go. You are well travelled so am sure you understand how to be 'streetsmart' as you would any where in the world.

Tobago has the more laid back vibe than Trinidad.

Venice
reviews: 112
4. Re: Security

Well, having spent 2 nights in Port of Spain and 17 touring Tobago, the answer to my question is: Tobago is very friendly and I felt safe and at ease throughout. Port of Spain centre is fine in day light. From hearsay I got the impression Trinidad is less easy than Tobago and might be stressed in places/at time. I went with the intention to spend a week in Trinidad but am pleased I headed to Tobago (after Caroni Swamp visit which was great)

Edited: 5:54 pm, April 07, 2012
Willemstad, Curacao
reviews: 85
5. Re: Security

Tobago is more the tourist island (with all its pros and negs) Trinidad is more off the beaten track. Never felt unsafe in Trinidad. There is a lot of crime but it is not really against tourists. Indeed be streetwise and you will be allright. You can drive well in Trinidad and also in Tobago. If you do go to tourist places see if you can go with a guide and if there are more people there.

6. Re: Security

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:18 am, December 16, 2013