We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving in Trinidad

London, United...
Driving in Trinidad

Hi,

Has anyone driven the road across the mountains from Arima to Blanchisseuse? I am flying in from London and arrive just before 6pm and want to rent a car and stay in Blanchisseuse but am a bit apprehensive about driving this road in the dark. Is it really as tricky as my guidebook seems to suggest?

Any advice is much appreciated.

Feargal

New York, NY
reviews: 5
1. Re: Driving in Trinidad

Don't drive in Trinidad if you can avoid it. Certainly don't drive in Port of Spain. You have to be careful about where you park, as well. Auto theft is a big problem in Trinidad. Thieves will know that you are a tourist and target you.

Brandon, Florida
reviews: 1
2. Re: Driving in Trinidad

If you arrive at 6 pm, by the time you get through Immig. and Customs it will be dark. Certainly it will be dark by the time you start crossing the mountains. I wouldn't recommend that you drive yourself and definitely not at night time.

Stay the night near the airport - there's a Holiday Inn Express near the airport exit road - and if you still feel you want to drive then set off in the morning.

Unless you want to do the drive over the mountains from Arima there's an alternative and probably less dangerous road coming into Blanchisseuse via Maracas Bay which is West of Blanch. But it will be a longer way.

London, United...
3. Re: Driving in Trinidad

Hi guys,

Thanks for the tips. Much appreciated.

F

Halifax, Canada
4. Re: Driving in Trinidad

Yes it is

5. Re: Driving in Trinidad

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:16 am, February 10, 2012