We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ferry Service between Trinidad and Tobago

Which Trinidad and Tobago hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Toronto, Canada
reviews: 8
Ferry Service between Trinidad and Tobago

I have travelled by ferries between England and France and from Victoria to Vancouver but they were big looking ships not the types that the pictures show that are plying between Trinidad and Tobago. I have to make a decision about my means of transportion - should I fly or take the ferry. Two questions. (1) Is there room for walking and standing around and is there a restaurant or food sold on the ferry? and (2) How rough is the trip?. Someone told me that I could expect to get sea sick. Anyone knows. Thanks.

14 replies to this topic
Tampa, Florida
1. Re: Ferry Service between Trinidad and Tobago

Yes, food is sold on the ferry. Sure you can walk around ... plenty of room. Whether or not you get sea sick depends on your constitution. Oddly enough most people (including myself) get seasick on the trip to Tobago but not on the return trip. Since leaving TnT I've lost my "sea legs".

The advantage of flying, apart from the quick flight, is that the airport is near to some of the tourist areas - Store Bay, Pigeon Point. If you take the ferry, which docks in the capital of Scarborough, you'll have to get a taxi out to your holiday destination.

Edited: 12:56 pm, November 20, 2012
Miami Beach, Florida
reviews: 1
2. Re: Ferry Service between Trinidad and Tobago

the ferries are HUGE - they carry hundreds of passengers, as well as automobiles; they have two levels and many different seating areas, some with TV's, and you can also be outside on the deck if you like. There is a food shop onboard, where you can get a full plate of hot cooked food or small snacks.

i never got seasick on them; i've taken the ferry about 10 different times and always found it to be a pretty smooth ride, although there are occasional bumpy spots if there's heavy weather, and of course it's very loud due to the engines. But in general i think it's WAY more fun than flying!

Edited: 2:54 pm, November 20, 2012
Toronto, Canada
3. Re: Ferry Service between Trinidad and Tobago

Thanks for response. I remember going out to see the whales in Newfoundland and almost died from the boat rocking so I am just checking. Maybe, I can go by the ferry to get the experience and if I really don't like it, I will fly back.

I am not staying near to the airport, so I will have to take a taxi anyway. Most likely, I will arrange for a pickup.

Edited: 9:28 am, November 21, 2012
Tampa, Florida
4. Re: Ferry Service between Trinidad and Tobago

The time of the year is also a factor that determines how rough it will be. I went one November and it was only in the last half hour before arrival in Scarborough that I started to feel sick - that was the longest half hour ever. LOL. Maybe it was the sight of other people being sick that actually brought on my feeling even though I took one of those "seasick" pills to prevent it before we set sail.

Trinidad
reviews: 79
5. Re: Ferry Service between Trinidad and Tobago

I prefer flying. But its almost same time to get to Tobago when you consider airport check-in time vs sailing time.

Most times people would say passing through the Bocas is rough. I haven't gotten sick yet and always take my Gravol before. But sometimes its just sickening to see the people around you vomiting and to have to go to the nasty washrooms when people go in there and mess it up.

Books your tickets early if its a peak travel time like Carnival, Easter, July-August etc.

Toronto, Canada
6. Re: Ferry Service between Trinidad and Tobago

Thanks for information. I think that I will fly. I understand that there is now an airport bus to the airport from South Quay area. Does it go directly or does it make a lot of stops along the Eastern Main Road. I may have to use this. I don't think that I want to see people vomiting. I have a very sensitive nose and I don't think that I will be able to stomach it. Do you know what time the bus starts to depart from P.O.S.? Thanks.

Edited: 11:51 am, December 01, 2012
Toronto, Canada
7. Re: Ferry Service between Trinidad and Tobago

After reading the forum again, I finally decided to travel by the ferry last February. The sea was pretty calm both ways. I was very impressed by the professionalism of the workers. They really have a good boarding system for getting the people and cars on in time. I got to travel on both ferries, although I preferred the newer one. I was amazed at the cleanliness of the washrooms - at least they were when I travelled. Much cleaner than some of the public washrooms here. I was fortunate to have a friend who offered to take his car over so I did not have to keep hiring cars while I was in Tobago. Thanks for the ferry service. If you are travelling by the ferry, don't forget to book ahead of time at a travel agency. Some days there are no tickets left. You are required to be at the docks two hours ahead of departure time. The 2 1/2 hour trip just flew. I did not get sea sick. I will surely travel this way next time.

Tampa, Florida
8. Re: Ferry Service between Trinidad and Tobago

Did you see anyone on the boat get sick?

Trinidad
reviews: 79
9. Re: Ferry Service between Trinidad and Tobago

They really do have a good system to get vehicles on and off the boat quickly and efficiently. They deserve commendation for that.

And on boarding passengers too.

Toronto, Canada
10. Re: Ferry Service between Trinidad and Tobago

AdHah: I did see the stewards running around giving one or two people bags and it was disgusting watching a woman standing vomiting in a bag. She could have sat down or gone to the washroom. She was the only person that I saw on both trips vomiting. By the way, there is a sign in the washroom that says "DO NOT VOMIT IN THE SINKS". So they are trying to get people to stop doing that. When I was returning to POS, I stupidly sat in front of the ferry (it was the older one) for a good view and I did feel a bit of movement when we were leaving the port in Scarborough and my friend told me that was the reason why I was feeling a bit of movement, it soon passed as we got further out. The bottom line, if you sit midway in the ferry, I think you should be fine. I have gone whale watching in Newfoundland and though it was the end of my life, this was very calm. Maybe it was just the time of the year - I travelled in February. I enjoyed the trip so I can't complain. The time just flew.

Edited: 12:52 pm, April 22, 2013
Reply to: Ferry Service between Trinidad and Tobago
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Trinidad and Tobago