We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

warning for users of P20 sun protection

Bequia
Destination Expert
for Bequia
reviews: 19
warning for users of P20 sun protection

P20 sounds like a wonderful product for protection from sun burn, but as a property manager, let me tell you about the damage to sheets and towels, lounge chairs, and presumably clothes...

most rental property owners here in Bequia like to use white sheets and towels...there are many products that people use that remove color from colored towels and white seems easiest to keep clean and nice looking because we can use spray and wash and bleach...however, this P20 sunscreen doesn't show up on sheets and towels until it's in the wash and a little bleach/chlorine is added, and then huge pink stains appear...or until you get out of a swimming pool and the chlorine on your skin mixed with the P20 then stains the pool lounges...must be a lovely look on a white bathing suit...

Some of it comes out after a long soak in bleach, but some of it won't and according to the P20 website they recommend Oxy Clean to remove it...I'm not sure if you can get Oxy Clean in SVG...but if you've used the product and have stained your white clothes, at least you should be able to get Oxy Clean once you return home...

According to their web site the stuff only comes off with soap and water and a good towelling off...I'm betting it comes off with sweat too...

So, would I use this product if I knew that using it was going to damage clothes, sheets, towels, pool cushions, fabric covered pool chairs...no way...

57 replies to this topic
england
reviews: 6
21. Re: warning for users of P20 sun protection

There is a once a day sunscreen called Ultrasun which is BRILLIANT and doesn't leave any stains at all and I have been using it for four years now can't recommend it enough....most airports sell it.

Limerick, Ireland
reviews: 1
22. Re: warning for users of P20 sun protection

I completely agree with your statement , to be honest I've used p 20 for the last 2 years and I have to say my clothes have not stained.....

Bequia
Destination Expert
for Bequia
23. Re: warning for users of P20 sun protection

the stains come out in whites as soon as a bit of bleach is applied...if you don't add bleach they don't appear...but guests prefer white sheets and white towels and to clean them generally a little bleach helps keep them white...unless there is P20 on them, in which case scarlet stains blossom...

The latest staining item to appear is the tinted moisturizer that some women are wearing with color, sunscreen and moisturizer all in one...even OxyClean doesn't take that out...and a friend of mine discovered that clients who have painted toenails and spray with bug spray shortly before going to bed, the bug spray softens the nail polish, then when you get into bed the nail polish wipes off onto the sheets...just part of the cost of being in the rental business I guess....

bequia
24. Re: warning for users of P20 sun protection

you can sometimes get Oxy Clean in Kingstown and also in Bequia Venture

Thirsk, United...
25. Re: warning for users of P20 sun protection

I suffer very badley with prickley heat and heat rash and stayed out of the sun as much as possible, was told about p20 4years ago and now am able to be out in the sun without suffering,I have had no problems with staining on bedding or towels but need to be carefull with clothes but that is the same with most sun creams

Lisburn, United...
26. Re: warning for users of P20 sun protection

Use the little sachets of Dr. Beckmann "glowhite" works a treat on all fabrics , just pop a sachet in the wash I have used P20 for years and when I come home wash clothes with this and they are like brand new. Never burned with P20 cant fault it and wouldn't use anything else

Lisburn, United...
27. Re: warning for users of P20 sun protection

PS DONT USE BLEACH!!!! Bleach reacts badly on lots of stains not just P20

Bequia
Destination Expert
for Bequia
28. Re: warning for users of P20 sun protection

if only we had 'glowhite' here...it's nice that you go home and wash your clothes with glowhite and get all the P20 stains out of your clothes, but what about the sheets and towels at the hotel or house where you stayed...

maybe the nice thing to do if you know you are going to be using P20 or something similar that stains, would be to bring along with you 'glowhite' or Oxy Clean for the housekeeper to use, since you know you are going to be staining the sheets and towels....I know I always appreciate it when women guests bring their own dark facecloths so they don't stain the white ones when they take off makeup...I've learned from that and always travel myself with my own facecloth just in case...

Birmingham, United...
29. Re: warning for users of P20 sun protection

its fab stuff and i dont get stains at all, just no burning, would recommend to anyone xx

Bath, United Kingdom
reviews: 5
30. Re: warning for users of P20 sun protection

Most people are responsible enough to shower and use soap, removing the sunscreen before using bath towels or bed sheets. those that aren't are the problem...not the users of a perfect sunscreen.

Reply to: warning for users of P20 sun protection
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Bequia