We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

St Vincent with a child

Oakland, California
reviews: 4
St Vincent with a child

In my quest to see every island in the Caribbean St. Vincent is next on my agenda. This quest began before I had a child. I just want to ask will St. Vincent and the Grenadines be enjoyable for a nine year old? She's very adventerous but this will be the first time she's left the USA that she can remember. Also could someone recommend accomodation that would be family friendly. I prefer smaller properties, not to fancy as I am on a budget. I just want to make sure I am in a setting that is not all couples or adult oriented.

Your help is greatly appreciated.

England
reviews: 57
1. Re: St Vincent with a child

Amerie. I would recommend Beachcomber Hotel at Villa. It has chalet style accomodation set in landscaped grounds. it has a large deck incorporating a small pool which overlooks Villa Beach and Young Island. When we were last year there was a couple of families with small children and the staff seemed to really look after them. It is not 5 star but is comfortable and reasonably priced and only about ten minutes from Kingstown via taxi or bus.

England
reviews: 57
2. Re: St Vincent with a child

Forget to post you a link: www.beachcombershotel.com

World
reviews: 9
3. Re: St Vincent with a child

If travelling with a child, you would probably find Bequia more accommodating (and with much better beaches) than mainland St. Vincent. Low Bay Guest House in Bequia might be just the ticket.

Oakland, California
reviews: 4
4. Re: St Vincent with a child

Tell me why you would recommend Bequia over St. Vincent? I thought St. Vincent might have more to do for a kid. We intend to do some day trips to the other islands including Bequia. I would be interested in your opinion.

World
reviews: 9
5. Re: St Vincent with a child

For starters, the beaches on St. Vincent are really not very attractive.

On the west coast, they are mostly black sand. On the east coast, the swimmable beaches (most are not) can be more golden but are very narrow. In the main tourist area of Villa, where Beachcomber's is, the water can get murky, even muddy, as a result of the washdown from the frequent heavy rainfalls in the hills higher up.

St. Vincent's tourism infrastructure, beyond the Villa/Indian Bay guesthouses, is very limited. You would need to hire a guide to get around or sign on for tours with one of the companies like Hazeco (very good but mostly geared to cruise ship busienss). Traffic is fierce and walking along the roads unsafe for that reason.

Bequia is a small island so it's easy to get around using the local dollar buses, water taxis or walking. There are lots of different beaches to go to. and each one is an adventure

The village of Port Elizabeth is pretty and interesting (I think even an adventurous child would find Kinstown St. Vincent a bit daunting).

Dotted around the island, there are local art galleries, whalting museum, turtle sanctuary to visit as well as deserted islands a short boat ride away.

On Bequia, there are opportunities for snorkelling from the beach and excellent day sailing trips (Friendshio Rose for one is excellent).

Particularly in Lower Bay, there will be a good opportunity for your child to meet and make friends with the kids of other tourists, expats and locals alike. You won't get this on St. Vincent.

From a housekeeping perspective, grocery shopping is easier in Bequia...again because of the smaller scale.

Going out at night is great fun for all ages (low key, local entertainment and everyone joins in, young and old). Sunday lunch at Coco's is a real family affair too.

Don't get me wrong, I love St. Vincent, but Iprefer to take an early morning ferry day trip from Bequia, do one of the great excursions, and get back home again in time for dinner.

Hope this helps

JENSEN BEACH
reviews: 39
6. Re: St Vincent with a child

I would definitely agree with the prior posts. As Dickie said beachcomber is a nice spot on St Vincent. I would think a couple of nights there and you will be thrilled to move on to Bequia! It is a MUCH more visitor friendly island. Your daughter should fit in quickly. Lower Bay is an excellent location for a visit in Bequia. Keegan's Guesthouse and Kingsville Apts are both good choices and not very expensive at all...particularly by CA standards! Several restaurants within easy and safe walking distance and snorkeling in the calm water is fun. Quick taxi trip into Pt Elizabeth for shopping and exploring. An Island tour is a must. About 3 hours and you'll have seen most of it! The Friendship Rose Tour to the Tobago Cays is a trip you'll never forget. If you really have wanderlust a night on the quiet island of Mayreau at Dennis' Guesthouse may be up your alley! Only about 250 residents and good local restaurants. The children on Mayreau seem to outnumber the adults and are very friendly! Dennis is clean with nice private baths and lovely views from your private balcony. $75 US a night includes a tasty bkfast. I opted for fresh fish but they have traditional bkfst as well. You can reach Mayreau on the Barracuda Mail Boat or via Union Island's airport and a water taxi!

7. Re: St Vincent with a child

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:20 am, August 26, 2009