We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Thinking of going back to BB in Oct, will it still be open

Gillingham, kent...
reviews: 41
Thinking of going back to BB in Oct, will it still be open

We visited BB in April 2012 and generally had a wonderfull relaxing holiday, we have found a decent price to go back in Oct, however just wondered if it will still be open by then.

Calgary, Canada
reviews: 6
1. Re: Thinking of going back to BB in Oct, will it still be open

I don't think that anyone can say for sure for BB or any other business for that matter. Given the nature of BB though, I would recomend travel insurance.

Durham, United...
2. Re: Thinking of going back to BB in Oct, will it still be open

We are going in three weeks and I was really worried, but reading more into the situation, it seems to only be the Harlequin Property side of things which are in trouble. Obviously this can have an impact on the resort itself, but as mango_mad mentions, as long as you have adequate insurance you should be ok!

Orange Beach
reviews: 11
3. Re: Thinking of going back to BB in Oct, will it still be open

We are booked to go in December so I hope so!

Leicester, United...
reviews: 1
4. Re: Thinking of going back to BB in Oct, will it still be open

Andrea K is correct the company has made it very clear that the problems only affect the UK property sales arm and has no impact on the UK or overseas holiday companies. I am booked for later this year as well!

UK
reviews: 8
5. Re: Thinking of going back to BB in Oct, will it still be open

Does that mean Harlequin have promised you that everything is going to be OK?

World
reviews: 9
6. Re: Thinking of going back to BB in Oct, will it still be open

"Andrea K is correct the company has made it very clear that the problems only affect the UK property sales arm and has no impact on the UK or overseas holiday companies. I am booked for later this year as well!"

So the ankle bone is NOT connected to the thighbone...???

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Bequia, St. Vincent
reviews: 2
7. Re: Thinking of going back to BB in Oct, will it still be open

Why would you risk BB when there are so many other good options? They may or may bot be financially viable. There is certainly lots of talk about suppliers having a hard time getting paid. Consider other places on the island that are established and will be there next year.

London
8. Re: Thinking of going back to BB in Oct, will it still be open

Without being overly alarmist there is considerably more to this than just the sales side of Harlequin going into administration. The Ames family were required to attend court in St Vincent only a couple of weeks ago to face action for statutory demands issued by investors for non payment. There are a number of outstanding legal actions in the UK courts too. It is an extremely complicated situation which has a serious bearing on the financial future of the resort (and subsequently the people who work there). There is now a group of a about one thousand investors in the UK who want their money back because Dave Ames has not fulfilled the promise of completing any of his resorts. New sales have dried up and Ames is desperately trying to restructure the whole company (having taken out millions for himself and his family) and built only a a small percentage of the promised thousands of units and blaming all and sundry for his failure. The two Harlequin properties in Barbados are derelict and no other resorts have been started.

A quote from Director Carol Ames of Harlequin Management Services (South East) Limited, Basildon at High Court, London on Monday April 22, 2013: “The company is or is likely to become unable to pay its debts.”

Whether this is the biggest UK property scam in recent history who knows? However, Harlequin is also being investigated by Essex Police, the UK Serious Fraud Office and Financial Services Authority and there have been a number of serious allegations in the UK press, radio and TV that flag up that all is not well. A quick Google search will bring up the relevant information.

Anyone going to enjoy the Harlequin Performing Arts Academy (which was popular with guests especially children) will be disappointed because it is now 'seasonal' and unavailable during May, June, September and October.

Let's not forget that some months ago Trip Advisor removed over a hundred reviews which implies they were not genuine. Of course I am not suggesting any manipulation by Harlequin but it appears to be no coincidence that whenever a negative review is posted it is immediately followed by a number of glowing positive reviews from first-time posters which push the negative one/s off the front page so that they effectively disappear.

I've heard that there are 50 per cent discounts to be had on BB. Make sure you have comprehensive insurance and don't rely on those cheap (or free) Mickey Mouse policies. I recommend that you discuss the terms of the policy with your insurance broker. Book using a credit card.

However, I wouldn't risk it. The islands of SVG are special and there are lots of lovely places to stay in, an AI resort like BB isn't one of them.

Gillingham, kent...
reviews: 41
9. Re: Thinking of going back to BB in Oct, will it still be open

I started this thread and have since had an E mail diect from Harlequin offering 45% discounts to returning clients.

I am sorry, much as I would like to return I am going elsewere and wont risk it, looking at Palm island in the same region of area and also a cheaper price !!

London
10. Re: Thinking of going back to BB in Oct, will it still be open

Is it true that the electricity was cut off yesterday (4 July) at Buccament Bay and that the staff have either gone on strike or are leaving?

Get answers to your questions about St. Vincent