We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First Trip

louisiana
reviews: 15
First Trip

We are planning our first trip to St. Vincent and the Grenadines. We will be flying into Barbados and then catching a flight to St. Vincent. We haven't made hotel arrangements yet. Trying to decide if we want to stay in St. Vincent and do day trips, or use Bequia as a "home post". We will have 12 days.

Ottawa
1. Re: First Trip

I would suggest staying on Bequia and doing day trips from there, including at least one to St. Vincent. Bequia is laid back, has good beaches and has all the necessary amenities.

louisiana
2. Re: First Trip

Thanks. Do you know anything about Sugar Reef? We are considering staying there.

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Bequia, St. Vincent
reviews: 3
3. Re: First Trip

Define what you expect from the location you choose and then lert us add our two cents worth. Sugar Reef is a very nice location, but welll of the beaten path. Need a cab to or from dinner. Long up hill walk past the dump (which really doesn't smell, just not scenic) to get to town.

If you intend to spend many nights in and cook for yourself or arrnage for someone to cook in for you, great. If you want to visit the many nice and varied restaurants nearer town it might not be a perfect location.

Edited: 5:25 pm, July 06, 2013
louisiana
4. Re: First Trip

Great info! Want to have a beach (of course) and a nice pool would be great, and want to be close enough to "town" to go for dinner, shopping, or just roaming around. We want nice accommodations, but don't need luxury. Definitely don't need phone, tv, or internet as this is what we are escaping from! Prefer a hotel/resort to renting a house or condo. We like having other guests to talk with (but don't want a party scene) and really like having the staff available to give advice on what to do and where to go. We will be just my husband and I. We are both in our early 50's. Do not plan to cook or eat in because we definitely want to get a taste of the local food and life. We were not thinking about renting a car as we assumed we'd just do a taxi or local bus, BUT...we could rent a car. We are really just beginning to make plans and need to do a lot more research. We've been to Barbados, St. Lucia, Dominica and Grenada and loved them! We are looking for a very relaxed vacation, but at the same time we want to be able to really see the islands and experience the culture. I love to snorkel, but my husband doesn't. He is happy to watch from the boat or even stay on the beach while I go out on a trip. Want to be able to do day trips to a couple of the other islands. Open to any suggestions.

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Bequia, St. Vincent
5. Re: First Trip

Interesting problem.

Bequia really only has a few "hotel" type options. Old school hotels, Frangipani and Gingerbread. No pools. Beaches are elsewhere. But close to the centre of activity and lots of restaurants to choose from. We stayed in the Fragipani our first two trips finding out where we wanted to stay.

Bequia Beach Hotel is more like a resort hotel. Beach right in front. OK but not great snorkelling.

After that you need to look at houses if you want a pool. But then you need to know what area you want. There are no really bad areas, but there are definitely some preferences.

Lower Bay, great beach, a few restaurants, lots of villas. You will spend time here no matter where you stay.

Princess Margaret, great beach, stupid steep road, one restaurant, a few villas. Always worth a visit.

There are a number of villas on the ridges between these beaches and they are usually a decent choice. An example is Trpoical Hideaway. but there are many other

Then there is the whole remaining 90% of the island.

Wlak and cab, no need to drive.

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Bequia, St. Vincent
reviews: 4
6. Re: First Trip

For your first time there I would try Village Apartments or Seashell Apartments. Village are right in town, which is great. Seashells, halfway between town and Lower Bay.

Myerstown...
reviews: 57
7. Re: First Trip

I was in St. Vincent and Bequia for 6 days in February, 2 nights in St. Vincent and 3 in Bequia. Yes, you could use Bequia as a home base and take the ferry to St. Vincent. I think it depends on what you want to see while in St. Vincent. Now that I've been there, I think three full days on St. Vincent would be my choice. Then on to Bequia where I didn't stay long enough! Check out the Sweet Retreat, www.bequiasweetretreathotel.com. You can eat at the hotel or check out some of the local restaurants. There is no pool, but the beach is a short walk away. If you are looking for a trip to the Tobago Cays, book ahead! I didn't and there were no openings (and a good excuse to plan another trip back). Robert at The Sweat Retreat did arrange a boat trip to a nearby island for a few of their guests where we could snorkel, relax on the beach (there is shade) and packed us lunch as well. With 12 days, you could split the trip on different islands.

Buffalo, New York
8. Re: First Trip

If you are on st. Vincent I would suggest that you arrange a hike up the volcano. The scenery on the way up and the views from the top are fantastic.

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Bequia, St. Vincent
reviews: 4
9. Re: First Trip

Sweet Retreat is so nice and Robert and Shelby are fantastic hosts!

10. Re: First Trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:18 am, July 10, 2014
Get answers to your questions about St. Vincent and the...