We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

TradeWinds Cruise Club - BEWARE

Which St. Vincent and the Grenadines hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Pittsburgh
TradeWinds Cruise Club - BEWARE

I went on this cruise with a friend around the beginning of this year. Personally, it's not worth the money. If you like somewhat "roughing it" then it just might be for you. It all depends on what you are looking for. If you are expecting all of the comodities from a big cruise line, then you may not want to even consider this option. They have 2 catamarans. As expected the rooms are small, but one doesn't spend much time in them. They do not turn the A/C on ever, except for the last night when one is docked back in Bequia. There was suppose to be hot water at all times, but the heater had broken 2 weeks prior to our departure. The boat had been docked and they didn't take the time to fix it. Therefore, we didn't have hot water to shower with the whole week. They request you take "military showers" to conserve water. The bathrooms are extreemely small and uncomfortable. At the begining, I was curious to know how one becomes a club member (not knowing it was a timeshare), but they would not tell me anything. A day or so later the captain would ask to speak with each of us individually or with our companion. This would take away from our personal/island/shopping time. He wanted to sell timeshares. None of us were interested and yet the captain would constantly "hound" us like a telemarketer with rebuttles. Needless to say, VERY ANNOYING!! A couple of people actually got very upset and expressed it. However, he still wouldn't give up. This made the cruise quite uncomfortable. We all noticed that the service and attention decreased inmensly when we didn't buy into the timeshare. As Americans our standards tend to be higher than in other countries(especially when you pay full price for this excursion). Thus said, the people that work for TradeWinds in Bequia are European (very different type of service). The food was really good, but we all noticed that the portions got smaller and smaller as the days went by. We all found ourselves hungry from time to time. The sailing was very nice and peaceful. The islands as well as the water, very beautiful. The price includes unlimited alcohol, which is a plus for those who like to drink. All in all it was O.K.. I personally would not use nor recommend this company. While I was there, I heard that there is/are a better company/companies there that do the same thing. If you are still considering going on this cruise, I suggest you go during their rainy season as you get to witness all the green. When I was there it was very brown and dry. I wish I would have known this prior to booking it. I hope this helps anyone and everyone!

63 replies to this topic
Ottawa, Canada
41. Re: TradeWinds Cruise Club - BEWARE

Have sailed Trade Winds twice, first out of Bequia in Grenadines and second out of Belize. We sailed a second time because the first was so awesome. If expectations are cruise lines, than you don't understand sailing. As a "Canadian" there was nothing wrong with food portions, and service was great. The only thing that I agree with is we were asked the first time for the "timeshare" sales pitch, the second time we just refused to attend.

Bottom line, we have traveled all over the world and think this is one of the best types of vacations ever. Absolutely nothing wrong with TradeWinds, while I didn't buy the timeshare, it actually is a good deal and makes sense if you like this type of vacation.

Happy sailing all

Portsmouth, United...
reviews: 29
42. Re: TradeWinds Cruise Club - BEWARE

Just wanted to say Thank you to everyone who answered questions and gave us some idea what we should expect ,especially Linda .

We returned home a few days ago and we enjoyed the Grenadines and it was a great Christmas in the sunshine .However sailing was not for me and I have done a trip report . So Thank you everyone

rkaty

East Setauket, New...
reviews: 51
43. Re: TradeWinds Cruise Club - BEWARE

We sailed on Passion--which is soon to be retired--at the beginning of the year. Dirk and Johanna couldn't have been more accommodating, esp to a person who loves mountains more. Our companions were lovely bunch of people who made the week enjoyable. Food, sightseeing, diving and sailing enjoyed by all. True, this is not an experience for everyone, but is worth the time and energy. To view our adventures, check out Take1Creations on YouTube. Thank you Dirk, Johanna and Captain SoSo.

44. Re: TradeWinds Cruise Club - BEWARE

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 5:37 am, May 13, 2013

Las Cruces, nm
reviews: 7
45. Re: TradeWinds Cruise Club - BEWARE

Sounds like there are a lot of problems with TradeWinds! Luckily, we had a fabulous Belize vacation! If there was a problem, it was the lousy coffee. Who serves Folgers, a typical, low grade, American grocery store brand to guests that pay this much for the trip?!!! We should have been served a good, full bodied, Central American coffee. Coffee is very important to many folks, me included. This was the private complaint of all guests on our boat. All things considered, a rather silly complaint, but easily fixed!

As for the crew, sights, food, other guests, and everything else, it was fabulous! We cant wait to go again! Maybe we will bring our own coffee!

new jersey
reviews: 47
46. Re: TradeWinds Cruise Club - BEWARE

We just returned from a week aboard one of Trade Winds vessels sailing out of St. Vincent. We had an amazing crew, the food was ample, the menus had great variety and the boat was fantastic. The rented the entire boat, 2 couples, 2 kids and one adult. We never felt cramped for space, enjoyed snorkeling, swimming, drinking using the floating noodle bar and star gazing at night. It was a unique and spectacular way to see the Grenadines. When we suggested having our vows renewed to the crew, they jumped into planning it with enthusiasm. On a tiny island with white sand and a lone thatched umbrella, we renewed our vows! Absolutely fantastic.

As for the sales pitch for joining Trade Winds, we found it to be short and informative. We were not pressed and out decision was not questioned. This may not be the type of vacation for everyone, but for our group, it was a genuine treat to escape technology, the clutter of media, crowds and anything else but each other's company. Our thanks to our crew. Safe sailing!

new york
47. Re: TradeWinds Cruise Club - BEWARE

thanks for your positive input.We are heading down to St. Vivcent to sail with them on Sat. 7/13

Perth, Australia
reviews: 63
48. Re: TradeWinds Cruise Club - BEWARE

We've been on several cruises, met friends that we have sailed with 2nd and 3rd times, taken family as guests and they have joined. We're off again to Tahiti and Bora Bora and hopefully to Seychelles. Crew make a big difference - having said that I haven't experienced a bad crew. One's own attitude is often a reflection of how things go down - global experience in the "school of life" helps. There are some pretty narrow-minded comments regarding standards in this thread - lets not slag off nations! Thank goodness we all have differing tastes - I love the ability to cruise without having 2,000+ people around me, but don't begrudge those who enjoy it. Crew I would acknowledge - Marta & Maciek!, Yahoudah & Kerry!, Nathan & Laura! and Jade, Peter, Jeremie & Rachel! - all holidays to be remembered for life! Only gripe - not catching anything!!!!!

new york
49. Re: TradeWinds Cruise Club - BEWARE

Just returned from ST Vincent and a great time on Freedom with Mike and Kelly. The food was great, the snorkeling and swimming with the turtles was unbelievable. The boat is brand new. There is a problem with an odor in all the bathrooms that is to be addressed this week while the boat is off. Everything else was fine. I don't know what some people expect when I read some of he negative reports We wanted a low key, casual, relaxing vacation with good food.The cabins are small, but clean and efficient. We got to see some islands that do not even have an airport,and the people were lovely.

The crew is constantly asking if they get you anything or do anything to make you more comfortable. We wished the trip was longer and we were still there.

oshawa
reviews: 2
50. Re: TradeWinds Cruise Club - BEWARE

Four years ago we went on a TWCC cat out of St. martin and it was everything you could hope for including two great crew members.

Last year we went out of Tortola with TWCC and it was the exact opposite...new, inexperienced crew, so so food, equipment breaking down on the boat including one engine and the oven! Two on shore meals were awful. Need to hear more positive feedback before we'd go again.

Reply to: TradeWinds Cruise Club - BEWARE
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about St. Vincent and the...